Two new 2017 i3s (BEV)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitramluap

Finally, after a very long (6 month) wait, we have our new vehicles. :D

Unfortunately Australia uses the Type 1 plug (for now) so our cars are limited to 7.4kW single phase AC charging, rather than the 11kW three phase AC charging with the Type 2 socket. Not that it really matters as we're limiting the charging to 5kW so that we can power them entirely with our solar panels via our clever Fronius inverter, home battery & Keba wallbox - so far it's working perfectly with absolutely no grid power used so far.

photo.jpg

I had been tracking them online from the moment we had a VIN (at the start of production) to their arrival. I followed the ships' (they were actually on different ships!) journey all the way from Germany to Australia (even spotting the ship on various port webcams) and then it's journey locally to the dealership. A bit nerdy but it helped pass the time. ;)

So far the cars are perfect for our needs and we're happy to be rewarding BMW with our money for such an innovative and forward-looking machine. I just hope they continue the trajectory.

The numberplates we've had for years - they're personalised plates which we used to have on our two 2007 BMW 120d vehicles which we ran successfully on 100% biodiesel made from recycled cooking oil (hence the BIO 1 & BIO 2). We had to sell them after 5 years for logistical reasons unfortunately, but we kept the plates. Now they have a new home and we hope they'll stay there for the next 15 years.

Congratulations,
I note from your plates that you, like us, live in this SunBlessed state. We are in Brisbane and have 34,000km up on our BEV (22kWh) :p without a single issue. The we are not off-grid but our 5kW roof top PV system completely offsets all our transport costs across financial and carbon criteria. The only expense for us so far has 2 new rear tyres. We don't own an ICE but can borrow one as needed. Hope you enjoy your vehicles as much as we do ours. :p

Thanks for the reply and I'm pleased to hear you have several thousand kilometres on the clock with no issues. I'm hoping for the same.

We opted for the BEV in order to keep the machine as simple as possible and maintenance to a minimum. Due to the few trips we need a car for, we had to wait until they upped the battery capacity (we have two drives per week which require 130km each), which is why we're only entering the EV world now.

We're not technically 'off-grid' but we use virtually zero grid power (we have the Fronius Energy Package) and we can be fully self powered if the grid goes down (solar during the day and battery overnight) provided peak power use isn't greater than 5kW - easy to manage. Of course we can pull as much as we like normally, but the excess will come from the grid. We have 7.6kW of solar and any excess generated above the 5kW limit for the inverter is channeled directly (DC) to the solar battery.

Most of my transport is by bicycle (pedelec) but I do need a car for a few trips per week - PT just can't do it for these journeys. My wife's car really only does two (long) trips each week - again, no PT option. We'd LOVE some proper trains in this country.

Wow you seem to have it all sorted very nicely. I have not seen a hybrid PV system as you described- only normal grid connect or completely isolated. Might be something I can suggest to my children who have all missed the good feed in tariff, that we are fortunate enough to have.

Like you, we chose the BEV for it's simplicity, cost effectiveness and better efficiency (less weight) - can't really see the point in the Rex unless you definitely need that extra distance. I understand from BMW blogs and interviews with senior execs, few people who purchase a Rex actually use the ICE very often and probably would have coped adequately with out it.

Was that you at the Byron Bay DCFC posted on Plugshare?

Was that you at the Byron Bay DCFC posted on Plugshare?

That was me. I decided to test it out one morning. I made it there with 50km still left in the battery, charged up fully while having breakfast and then headed home.

We just need a few more of these CCS chargers dotted along the coast (service stations, cafes, hello!?).

Latest posts

Back