What to check when viewing 2017 Rex. (Aircon and Drive Motor?)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maninsheds

Hi all

Apologies, sure this has been answered somewhere, but struggled to find with a search.

I've put a holding deposit on a 2017 Rex. 51k miles. Going to view on Saturday and will be driving it away unless I find anything worrying. Done enough research to be comfortable that's definitely the model I want.

Just wondering what I should be checking when I view.

My main worries are the Aircon and the drive motor/bearings, which seem to be the most common big money failures? Is there much I can check on these. I can obviously check the Aircon is working but I'm not sure if there is much else I can check? Are there any signs things could going wrong.

I've checked "batt kapa max" and it gives good indication as far as that is valuable.

Anything rex specific to check. Is there a way to get it to run to at least hear it running? I believe this may depend on whether main battery is over 75 percent charged? (I'm in UK so will do HSOC)

Any tips appreciated.

Dan

The 94 Ah battery cells in a 2017 i3 seems to be very resistant to degradation unlike some 60 Ah battery cells. The condition of the battery pack would not be a concern for me.

The A/C compressors in earlier i3's seem to be less reliable. Maybe by 2017, BMW had sourced a more reliable compressor. I don't know of a way to test the compressor. A failing compressor can be quite loud, but even a normal compressor can be heard quite easily when standing next to an i3.

I've owned only BEV's, so I have no REx experience. However, there is an emissions test mode that starts the REx engine while an i3 is parked. Unfortunately, I don't know how to engage this mode. Hopefully, someone who does will reply.

Hi all

Apologies, sure this has been answered somewhere, but struggled to find with a search.

I've put a holding deposit on a 2017 Rex. 51k miles. Going to view on Saturday and will be driving it away unless I find anything worrying. Done enough research to be comfortable that's definitely the model I want.

Just wondering what I should be checking when I view.

My main worries are the Aircon and the drive motor/bearings, which seem to be the most common big money failures? Is there much I can check on these. I can obviously check the Aircon is working but I'm not sure if there is much else I can check? Are there any signs things could going wrong.

I've checked "batt kapa max" and it gives good indication as far as that is valuable.

Anything rex specific to check. Is there a way to get it to run to at least hear it running? I believe this may depend on whether main battery is over 75 percent charged? (I'm in UK so will do HSOC)

Any tips appreciated.

Dan
Hi Dan I have a 67 reg i3 rex and owned it for just over a year now it seems to be very reliable and when I took it for service all was good , how much are you paying for the i3 if you don't mind telling me, happy driving Regards Royston

The 94 Ah battery cells in a 2017 i3 seems to be very resistant to degradation unlike some 60 Ah battery cells. The condition of the battery pack would not be a concern for me.

The A/C compressors in earlier i3's seem to be less reliable. Maybe by 2017, BMW had sourced a more reliable compressor. I don't know of a way to test the compressor. A failing compressor can be quite loud, but even a normal compressor can be heard quite easily when standing next to an i3.

I've owned only BEV's, so I have no REx experience. However, there is an emissions test mode that starts the REx engine while an i3 is parked. Unfortunately, I don't know how to engage this mode. Hopefully, someone who does will reply.
Thanks for this, ended up buying. Turns out you can only stay the emissions test mode below 75 percent charge, so I couldn't test before buying, but had just been serviced and operated fine on the long drive home.

Hi Dan I have a 67 reg i3 rex and owned it for just over a year now it seems to be very reliable and when I took it for service all was good , how much are you paying for the i3 if you don't mind telling me, happy driving Regards Royston
Paid £11k

useful price information…thanks for that. I also have a 2017 rex with 22,000 and it has been completely reliable ( so far! ). continues to give joy at all levels.

I had a 67 Corvette Stingray which I treasured, but a 67 i3 would be even more valuable. ㋡

Sorry, you probably meant a 2017 i3. Perhaps mainsheds could pay a local BMW dealer to do a presale evaluation of the i3 for him.

I had a 67 Corvette Stingray which I treasured, but a 67 i3 would be even more valuable. ㋡

Sorry, you probably meant a 2017 i3. Perhaps mainsheds could pay a local BMW dealer to do a presale evaluation of the i3 for him.
I am not sure specifically, but in the wisely videos he referred to a specific model range as 67. It's on the vehicle license plates.

Back