Which smartphone is required ?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwerius

Hi,

Upto now, I only used my mobile phone for calling and SMS.
Since I bought the i3 (scheduled for delivery by the end of February), I want to be able to use all it's possibilities, so I need a smartphone.
I will probably rarely use the phone for internet, e-mail etc.
Asked the i-genius at my car dealer which phone was required and he answered most of them will do, but the easiest to work with is the i-phone. Since the BMW software is more or less designed for the i-phone.
Since my probably very limited use of the phone (except for calling), I think this is an expensive solution.

What 's your experience so far?

Zwerius said:
Hi,

Upto now, I only used my mobile phone for calling and SMS.
Since I bought the i3 (scheduled for delivery by the end of February), I want to be able to use all it's possibilities, so I need a smartphone.
I will probably rarely use the phone for internet, e-mail etc.
Asked the i-genius at my car dealer which phone was required and he answered most of them will do, but the easiest to work with is the i-phone. Since the BMW software is more or less designed for the i-phone.
Since my probably very limited use of the phone (except for calling), I think this is an expensive solution.

What 's your experience so far?

The iPhone 4S model will suffice and can be had for no more than another brand smart phone.

I've got an iPhone 5, but I can't get emails to show up on the i3 display, although it seems like you should be able to. My dealer says that facility only works with Blackberrys. Anyone know better...?

I'm hoping the car will work with Android (not being a fan of the lock-in to the Apple ecosphere) but need to upgrade my ancient phone which doesn't even want to run the BMW i app!

I'll probably plump for a Samsung S-something. Unless someone tells me otherwise.

iPhone or Android devices can be used.. but beware not to buy a very cheap low-budget andriod phone as this will cause many frustrations and it will probably not run the iRemote app from BMW.
BMW advice you to buy the iPhone. sadly i did.... (sorry, i'm not an apple fan at all! see the post about WP support for the i3)
So your choices are:
iPhone model 4S or newer.
Android (Beware that the phone you buy runs at least Android 4.0.3 or a newer version of Android.)
Depeniding on your budget and other use of the phone i think an Android device would be good enoug, although an iPhone might be easier to work with if you have no experience with smartphones at all..

Yes, but it's still the iPhone app, just zoomed in to make it fill the screen. Works fine though - obviously the iPad has to have an internet connection.

This is just to let you know that my iPhone 5 (iOS 7) works very well with the Pro Nav (609).
- Siri is operational through a long click on the "voice" button on the steering wheel.
- Audio stream via Bluetooth works fine
- Artwork is displayed on the screen!!!!

No need to spec "Enhanced bluetooth preparation" (6NS) for that. :ugeek:

agj said:
This is just to let you know that my iPhone 5 (iOS 7) works very well with the Pro Nav (609).
- Siri is operational through a long click on the "voice" button on the steering wheel.
- Audio stream via Bluetooth works fine
- Artwork is displayed on the screen!!!!

No need to spec "Enhanced bluetooth preparation" (6NS) for that. :ugeek:

That's very interesting and great news! I haven't specced 6NS on my build but assumed that bluetooth streaming wouldn't work!

What does 6Ns actually give you then?

Ross said:
What does 6Ns actually give you then?

Among other things, 6NS should add the possibility to access emails received on the phone through a new menu on the main screen ("Office"). BUT ... it seems that this feature is not compatible with iOS.
Not sure about this though. I hope that another owner can confirm.

I struggle to understand why I would want to access email in the car. Moreover, I would consider such a thing to be very distracting and hence hazardous as is assessing texts.

Back