You may have saved me from a horrible lease deal! Now what?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregoni3

I am in Oregon and took a Rex home overnight and fell in love with it. Needing a car quickly, I went back to the dealer and asked about rates yesterday. We went back and forth for an hour and I thought I was getting a competitive price on the vehicle, at least according to Truecars. I have never leased a vehicle before and I believe they may have taken advantage of me in that regard.

I was assured the MF was very competitive for my credit score, it is likely not. I have credit scores in the 820-840 region and the MF they offered was .0017 in calculating the lease. I got a truecar discount of $4038 in addition to the $5500 standard rebate. However, the lease terms they gave me for 24 months on this vehicle come in at $550 a month after $2500 down. They never showed the residual value percentages for me. I drove off the lot last night with the following:

Arravani Grey Base + rex + Tera World + Tech Package + & 20" wheels (I did't want the wheels but they were on the car)
MSRP 54250
- 4038 discount
- 5500 Rebate
= 44,712 Total Purchase

2500 down, 24 months, .0017 MF = ~550 per month.

I may have just gotten screwed, can someone help me untangle the figures? The deal is not final because the car I was supposed to drive off the lot was to have the parking assist package and this car didn't. They didn't charge me for it yet but it was the car I was looking for the entire time and they didn't realize it until they pulled the car out for me to take home at closing time.

Trying to help untangle this myself. I don't expect anyone to do my homework for me, just point me towards the glaring mistakes I make.

If I assume a value of 62% left on the vehicle at MSRP, and then I subtract the discounts, I get an expected payment of $373 a month. How that gets turned into 551, I do not know or understand.
(54250msrp - (54250 x .62residual) - 5500fed disc - 4028truecar - 2500downpayment) / 23 = 373 per month for the remaining payments. What am I missing here in reversing this calculation?

@bimmer and @zony seem to understand how to do the calculations better than I do.

I'm in the middle of higglipliggliness down here... but in short - you can do far better, so I'd take it back.

Details as to the actual lease will become critical here - in CA we have easy ways of looking at doc fees, license costs etc. You're missing out it appears on the .00125 rate for your FICO and the 2k BMW incentive as a minimum. The retail sounds average for the area - CA dealers are far more aggressive...

Also take a look at this deal - this might be closer to what you are looking for? http://www.bmwportland.com/new/BMW/2014-BMW-i3+w/+Range+Extender-serving-portland-or-07b032080a0a00de545fa03ed3e11333.htm

Note the 279/mo lease with the down - reversing that back to your down = less than $450/mo including tax - and that appears to be a 10% discount - I'd push on that deal to start. As this is your first lease, I'll not get preachy :)... but here are some simple rules:
1. Negotiate sales price including delivery
2. Put as little down as possible - you're renting a car:)
3. See #2 - you're renting a car, so choose the options that you MUST have -

I'll work on posting better info this afternoon - PM me if you like... I'm sure others will chime in as well.
Best
Z

oregoni3 said:
I am in Oregon and took a Rex home overnight and fell in love with it. Needing a car quickly, I went back to the dealer and asked about rates yesterday. We went back and forth for an hour and I thought I was getting a competitive price on the vehicle, at least according to Truecars. I have never leased a vehicle before and I believe they may have taken advantage of me in that regard.

I was assured the MF was very competitive for my credit score, it is likely not. I have credit scores in the 820-840 region and the MF they offered was .0017 in calculating the lease. I got a truecar discount of $4038 in addition to the $5500 standard rebate. However, the lease terms they gave me for 24 months on this vehicle come in at $550 a month after $2500 down. They never showed the residual value percentages for me. I drove off the lot last night with the following:

Arravani Grey Base + rex + Tera World + Tech Package + & 20" wheels (I did't want the wheels but they were on the car)
MSRP 54250
- 4038 discount
- 5500 Rebate
= 44,712 Total Purchase

2500 down, 24 months, .0017 MF = ~550 per month.

I may have just gotten screwed, can someone help me untangle the figures? The deal is not final because the car I was supposed to drive off the lot was to have the parking assist package and this car didn't. They didn't charge me for it yet but it was the car I was looking for the entire time and they didn't realize it until they pulled the car out for me to take home at closing time.

Back