New i3 Driver

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3rextera

Got a good deal on a lease assumption for an i3. I will be getting the i3 next week so I am starting to prepare for the next 30 months of driving.

I purchased the Juice box 40 to install in my house for L2 charging. I Plan to drive on a 60 miles round trip commute 4 times a week only on electric charge so I needed a L2 at home based on my research.

Since I will go through 2 winters before my lease expires, I was looking into getting winter tires, as the i3 currently comes with the 20", which seem to be summer tire rated only. The cost for winters tires seems to be to high even with the winter package. I also looked at tire rack, but it is still very expensive.

I really got the i3 to save money so I am not able to justify the 1500-1800 for tires at the moment. My options are to either drive the X3 on snow days, or find a cheaper solution for winter tires. Any tips?

The i3 comes with the fast charge DC option, what is the best phone app to find available stations?

You didn't mention if it was BEV or ReX, but FYI cold weather will drop the battery range to around 55-65 miles. So unless you have a charger at work, you may not have a choice.

Personally I'd drive the X3 when there's any chance of snow just for safety reasons. Here in California even a wet road causes the accidents to skyrocket, and I'd rather have the peace of mind of being in an SUV that has a proven safety record and is hassle-free to repair. Kept my Subaru Forester for exactly this reason.

You might want to look at 'chain' options. Traditional chains have speed and durability issues. But I think there are some low-profile ones that use strips of a durable material that might work at higher speeds and longer lasting. ... Just a thought.

Bob Wilson

The summer tires get way too hard when it gets cold out, and do not grip well at all in the wet or snow or icy weather. There are only two manufacturers of winter tires in sizes that will fit the i3, and both are only available in 19". Nokian and Bridgestone are your only two tire choices. The Nokians list for more, but both can be had for less than list if you shop around. Not too many aftermarket wheels, though, and you can't use your 20" ones. FWIW, the 19" wheels/tires will ride a bit better than the 20" ones, and on a lease, it might mean you won't need to buy new tires at the end of your lease.

It is the ReX version. I am looking into coding it to keep the battery charge at 20% in order to avoid any issues if too cold.

I could not find any snow chains for the 20"

If I consider that at the end of the lease or before I need to buy tires, then it could make more sense to get the winter package so I can save the summer tires. I'll keep looking for better options.

I am also worried that with the winter tires, the range may further decrease.

Maybe it wasn't such a good a idea to get the i3 :).

Both the Bridgestone and the Nokian designs are low-rolling resistance tires...there is a penalty over the others, but I don't think it's great. I don't stress mine (mostly local, I'm retired), so I do not have any range guide for you, but the biggest thing on range is the weather - cold does require more energy, and thus, does affect your maximum range.

Just choose the X3 when it snows.

Better safe than sorry.

The i3 doesn't perform that well in snowy, icy conditions.

Winter tires can make a huge difference in ANY car, but especially if you have the 20" wheels and tires/ don't even think about trying to drive it in snow without changing over! I've not found the i3 difficult to drive IF you have the appropriate tires on it.

Agree. If you have the appropriate tires on the i3, driving it in snow is ok.

OP, also bear in mind that Winter tires are not just for when you have to deal with snow. They're for when the weather temp goes 7C (44.6F) or below. At those temps, Summer tires start to harden, making the tire lose its grip on the road. So when it gets that cold, it doesn't matter whether there's snow on the road or not, Summer tires will lose their grip.

Back