Charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GWH

Hi

Sorry just picked up car and need a bit of technical help. I have a home charger and plugged charger in and blue light illuminated all ok. However when I lock car the blue light stops after a minute. Is this correct or do indeed to do something with the settings..

Is the car still charging with no lights showing?

Thanks

Gavin

The lights don't stay on forever, but most EVSE have an indicator on them to indicate that they are charging, plus, if you look at the display (you may have to open the door to activate it, as it doesn't stay on forever, either) will show you the current battery level graph along with the time of day the car thinks it will achieve a full charge.

I too wondered why the lights sometimes go off. The label inside the charge cover seems pretty clear: Blue = Charging; Green = Full.

But I rarely see the green light in the morning. Seems silly to not leave the green light on continuously after a full charge.

It seems to me that no lights while plugged in is an ambiguous state and is a "bug." The LEDs can't draw meaningful power, so power savings seems a bad reason to go dark.

Seems the light comes back on when you unlock the car, and it must be unlocked to remove the plug, so at that point, you can tell what the status is.

Thanks. Good to know. But I charge/park my car in my garage and leave it unlocked.... Not an unusual scenario (at least in USA).

I actually think the charge handle lock is also a bug--- or at least the inability to alter the behavior. Often at public charging stations it is possible to park two cars per charging port, so y can unplug another fully charged car and start your charge. Not so with i3, unless owner leaves unlocked.

My workaround is to print my cell number inside charge door. If next guy calls me, I remote unlock and than remote lock after a minute.

With car locked I pressed bmw symbol on key and it flashes blue on charging point in car to indicate still charging and a couple hours later turned green indicating fully charged. Saves me having to unlock car to check status.

Car is amazing and kids love it especially speeding away from other cars at lights. It is really quite rapid.

Chrisn said:
My workaround is to print my cell number inside charge door. If next guy calls me, I remote unlock and than remote lock after a minute.
Have you actually done this for anyone? My iRemote will let me lock the doors, but there is no unlock function. Locking does work, after which, still no unlock function.

i3Alan said:
Chrisn said:
Have you actually done this for anyone? My iRemote will let me lock the doors, but there is no unlock function. Locking does work, after which, still no unlock function.

The one time someone called, I was 50 feet away and used the key fob, so no. Funny, my M5 has remote unlocking for sure using the generic BMW Remote app. You're absolutely right-- I just checked-- the i Remote seems to lack this. Weird. I know you can do it via BMW assist phone system. Maybe BMW removed the feature because they didn't trust their security on the App?

In any case, my civic minded intent is pure: I have my cell phone number printed in there so people can ask me if its OK to unplug.

jakell64 said:
Unlock via the iRemote app is not available in the US, presumably due to security concerns.
You can lock, honk the horn, and flash the lights on the USA cars from the app. To unlock it, you have to call the I-concierge hotline.

Back