Plugless Charger, Induction

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les2014

It looks like a good idea, hope it works with the i3. No more cable to deal with. It is a little pricy....and some power is lost on translation too....

https://pluglesspower.com/price-request/

Les

The idea is indeed awesome. The following is in relation to current state.

Current technology implementation is not yet suitable for the home application, though. This is primarily due to inefficiency. Most systems run 70-80% efficiency, with the best only achieving about 85%, and those are expensive due to the precision engineering required (small coil sizes running high frequency). From a cost-perspective, paying for 25% (75% efficiency) lost energy isn't appealing. For cost, in real terms against the BMW i3 battery:

80% efficiency:
- 22kWh total; 18.8kWh usable
- 80% efficiency to charge 18.8kWh = 3.76kWh loss (22.56kWh total electricity draw)
- At .14 cents/pence per kWh, that's .53 cents/pence extra cost to charge. Multiplied by charging 5 days a week for a year and it is 136.86.

70% efficiency:
- 22kWh total; 18.8kWh usable
- 70% efficiency to charge 18.8kWh = 5.64kWh loss (24.44kWh total electricity draw)
- At .14 cents/pence per kWh, that's .79 cents/pence extra cost to charge. Multiplied by charging 5 days a week for a year and it is 205.30.

Those numbers just aren't nice for additional cost to charge, nevermind that doesn't consider initial cost for the tech. As reference, most people report about 10% loss for plug-in charging at level 2 and about 5% for level 3.

As with anything, as technology improves to bring initial cost down and improve efficiency, wireless is definitely appealing. We park in our garage every night, in virtually the exact positioning (wood blocks on the floor to come up to after having to come in at a very specific, precise angle to fit into the garage door), so being able to just pull in and walk away would be brilliant.

What a great analysis you did, thanks.

By the way Motorweek made a GREAT report about this:

http://youtu.be/Q4MENiacRzA

Hope plugless technology improves soon because it is such a great idea.

Here in South Florida I am still waiting to try a DC charger, only AC are available so far. My dealer told me it will install one, see to believe.

Thanks

Up until recently, BMW did not have an 'approved' CCS unit it wanted to promote. They finally resolved that, and are probably making all USA dealers opt in if they want to continue to sell i3's. They had a press release on that awhile ago. It's a 25Kw unit, not the full 50Kw the i3 can accept, still faster than the 7.4 max you can get on AC, though. But, being smaller, it's about 1/3'rd the cost and may not need infrastructure changes for the power at a typical dealer.

What some have discussed is putting induction coils in the roadways, and you'd power or recharge along the way. Right now, not too feasible, but it is possible.

Now, if we just covered a good portion of Arizona with solar collectors, we could power the entire country, but would need to build a big storage mechanism to get us through the night and the rare storms! Actually, you wouldn't need all of it. Good ole Sol pumps out far more 'wasted' energy than civilization uses.

jadnashuanh said:
What some have discussed is putting induction coils in the roadways, and you'd power or recharge along the way. Right now, not too feasible, but it is possible.

This! If on highways/motorways, that would be amazing.

Back