Maybe the most unique i3s in China & world

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMMOOO

i have not used written English for years, so sorry for my Chinglish :)
Hi guys and dear i3 users,
this is Jonah, i m from Shanghai, China. i was ever the first 5 person in Shanghai to order 530Le in 2015 June(which was not released worldwide). Due to this reason, i was have chance to related with i3 users, since BMW interview me and i3 guys frequently :)
so i am also the user of 3 i3, the 2014 rex, 2019 120 i3 and
the very special DIYed 2019 120 i3, Maybe the most unique i3s in China & world.

微信图片_20240118215003.jpg微信图片_20240118214950.jpg

i just owned this in 2023 Christmas from a geek car lover in the same i3 group. i want to you show how unique and cool.
you know in China, i3S never ever entered into the market. so the geek just refit it in 2021 spring.

the sale of i3 was ended in 2020 in China, since massive local ev cars pop up. so the geek bought the new i3 from dealer in about 30000 USD, (210000CNY), and he spent almost same price as the car price about 28000USD in refit.

let the chapter begin and 𝑺𝒉𝒆𝒆𝒓 𝑫𝒓𝒊𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑷𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒖𝒓𝒆. :)
update to i3s outlook:
4 lamina laminae, wheel eyebrows
and the front mouth
20 inch black wheel and tire
(i m not a local English speaking person, so sorry for the translation )
微信图片_20240118214938.jpg

before bought it, i had 2-3 rounds of testing drive, i found it was just tooo hard and heavy compare to my former 2014 rex and 2019 normal i3.
i think maybe it was a real normal i3, and we replace the wheel, tire and refit to short spring, HR brand.

due to law need, in the ownership transfer progress, i let the geek to change it to normal 19 inch wheel and tire. i made another drive, it was a little comfortable compare to before, still heavy and toughness to my former 19 120 i3. which let me think it's more fun and good to drive. i think it dues to the car changes into HR short spring.

the car also added AC carbon tail, i think the tail more or less effect somehow driving experience.

the outlook refit is just piece of cake, since all the i3s have think kind look. let's go into inner.

微信图片_20240118214924.jpg
update to i3s' new traffic keep function ACC suite.
another cool point, look the shift paddles, it's function-less, still the shift paddles can be click with da-da-da sound :)

sound: upgrade to harman/kardon, the car was almost a left to sale car in 2020, so the dealer not allow buyer to select original package, so all the package shall do it by self.
blue belt
dark wooden dock panel

微信图片_20240118214909.jpg微信图片_20240118214916.jpg
refit front seats to i8 seat. the two seats cost about 8000USD. enjoy electric adjust function. seat more close and comfortable.

View attachment 微信图片_20240118214838.jpg
update the pedal with metal M label

微信图片_20240118214806.jpg微信图片_20240119090146.jpg

add BMW original coat hanger in back seat. spent a little more time to make it there seamless. (the coat hanger may easily work on 5/7 series )
make the sporting look i3s business casual :)

微信图片_20240118214931.jpg

this thread only support 10 pics, so i have to add more pics in next thread.

微信图片_20240118214738.jpg
refit roof light from MINI's light
and add atmosphere light from local 3rd factory with 8-10 colors, i only use blue, looks fine and cool.

no photo to present
i only knew in 2023 Dec that the i3 only have left rearview mirror with anti glare function.
the right side is normal one. it's really out of think so. my bmw 530Le have them in both side.

so this i3 got the right rearview mirror with anti glare function as well.

微信图片_20240118214854.jpg微信图片_20240118214901.jpg微信图片_20240118214847.jpg

more bmw swags and brand swag.

one more thing to, this car also get comfort entry kit refit.

and that's all about this 19 120ah i3 refit into i3s.

just want to share you guys the passion to drive i3. In China, there is lots of new function EV cars, but i love this i3 most.

Remove the light gray decals along the roof edge above the doors to make your i3 look more like an i3S. Heat with hair dryer and wipe with alcohol to remove residual glue from paint.

Remove the light gray decals along the roof edge above the doors to make your i3 look more like an i3S. Heat with hair dryer and wipe with alcohol to remove residual glue from paint.
good advice, i m now looking for a real i3s' photo for compare :)

look the shift paddles, it's function-less
I wonder if it would be possible to make the shift paddles change the driving mode EcoPro+ -> EcoPro -> Comfort -> Sport? Seems a shame to have them there but doing nothing.

Hey MMMOOO,

Is it true that there are a bunch of electric car graveyards in China, due to the government requiring production etc ?

I wonder if it would be possible to make the shift paddles change the driving mode EcoPro+ -> EcoPro -> Comfort -> Sport? Seems a shame to have them there but doing nothing.
it's just a decoration.
:)

if DIY much, it is sure, it is not that hard to do.

Hey MMMOOO,

Is it true that there are a bunch of electric car graveyards in China, due to the government requiring production etc ?
i dont think so.
the ev market is flourish
and the 2nd ev market is even flourish

all the ev car's price is going down day by day, just because Chinese market is too competitive.

you know the VM ID3 all new is just 17000USD to own.

Great write up. I like what you have done to your car. Post more pictures of the EV cars that China has for sale that you see on the roads. Very interesting.

Great write up. I like what you have done to your car. Post more pictures of the EV cars that China has for sale that you see on the roads. Very interesting.
will do, if it's easy for me on mobile.
now i m on a desktop to reply you.
:)

Cool. I’ve seen the Chinese Tesla plants. They are “gia-normous”. Hopefully BYD cars that meet NHTSA safety standards will be imported to the USA someday (like in the rest of the world) - it might spur more competition in the second largest auto marketplace on the planet!

Beautiful car! Nice mods. Very neat job.

Cool. I’ve seen the Chinese Tesla plants. They are “gia-normous”. Hopefully BYD cars that meet NHTSA safety standards will be imported to the USA someday (like in the rest of the world) - it might spur more competition in the second largest auto marketplace on the planet!

Beautiful car! Nice mods. Very neat job.
thank you for the reply and encouragement.

actually, there is many other brands in local are new and high competition.
there is new car in reporting every week.

i choose i3, just because it's unique. all other cars are street cars.

BYD cars are not well noted in our local i3 group, the design is not good and smooth.
our brands like: NIO\XPENG\LI\ZEEKER\XIAO MI all did well in designing and function.

View attachment 482
refit roof light from MINI's light
and add atmosphere light from local 3rd factory with 8-10 colors, i only use blue, looks fine and cool.
When you remotely unlock the car at night there is this blue ambient light which I wish I could use it while driving! Is there any way to make it happen?

When you remotely unlock the car at night there is this blue ambient light which I wish I could use it while driving! Is there any way to make it happen?
yes, it only work under sport interior light. and it's blue.
yes, when drive in night or dark outside like in tunnel, the blue light is on. so not need additional set.

thank you for the reply and encouragement.

actually, there is many other brands in local are new and high competition.
there is new car in reporting every week.

i choose i3, just because it's unique. all other cars are street cars.

BYD cars are not well noted in our local i3 group, the design is not good and smooth.
our brands like: NIO\XPENG\LI\ZEEKER\XIAO MI all did well in designing and function.
I have been looking at the brands you posted. Plus the MG, and the BYD Seal.

I was read somewhere that EV sales in China will surpass 33% of sales by late 2025. Only around 18% in the US.

BYD sales always good. but in Chinese BMW users rare choose BYD, since the design is not so elegant.

the new generation of young man choose much like: NIO\XPENG\LI\ZEEKER\XIAO MI
since those car producers are original from internet, those founders are famous IT Tech geek, they know how to meet users' need.

I have been looking at the brands you posted. Plus the MG, and the BYD Seal.

I was read somewhere that EV sales in China will surpass 33% of sales by late 2025. Only around 18% in the US.

I’m thinking of buying a used BMW I3.I think that you got an amazing deal.I love all of the up-grades that you have on your car especially the I8 powered seats.I’m sure that they must be incredibly comfortable.Thanks for sharing your story.Please keep us posted on your long term review.Also on a side-note whenever you do sell your car,you could always put back in /swap original seats and sell the I8 ones and make an extra profit.

Back