Park Assist Package in UK - why I think it's a mistake

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psquare

My i3 turned to "Amber status" the other day, signalling the end of the time during which I can still make changes to my order without affecting the delivery date.

I deliberated the Park Assist Pack, which includes the front / back sensors, rear view cam and the Automatic Parking. Whilst I regard the sensors and the cam as useful, I would probably never use the automatic parking assist, as we live in a rural spot and rarely park in lanes, and are more likely to diagonally park in supermarket lots when out and about.

However it was not possible to separate this out. £790 for the entire pack -of which the majority probably goes towards the park assist system- was not worth it in my view. So I decided against it.

I can understand BMW wrapping these extras into packs, but in this case I tend to think they're shooting themselves in the foot.

psquare said:
My i3 turned to "Amber status" the other day, signalling the end of the time during which I can still make changes to my order without affecting the delivery date.

I deliberated the Park Assist Pack, which includes the front / back sensors, rear view cam and the Automatic Parking. Whilst I regard the sensors and the cam as useful, I would probably never use the automatic parking assist, as we live in a rural spot and rarely park in lanes, and are more likely to diagonally park in supermarket lots when out and about.

However it was not possible to separate this out. £790 for the entire pack -of which the majority probably goes towards the park assist system- was not worth it in my view. So I decided against it.

I can understand BMW wrapping these extras into packs, but in this case I tend to think they're shooting themselves in the foot.

While I agree, i will probably never use the park assist, i bought the package anyway in order to get the back up camera and sensors. Life is short and if you want 2/3 of the package you have to pay the toll.

In the USA by the end of 2017, all new light vehicles being sold must have reversing cameras as standard equipment and the manufacturers must add more models in the interim, so I expect more will have it as standard next model year and even more in 2016, then all of them by 2017. This may or may not carry over to the other markets. I haven't even tried the park assist on mine yet, but will not buy a new car without a backup camera.

Like many, I wanted the package primarily for the front sensors and rear camera. Even though I live in a city where street parking is common, I assumed Park Assist would be a gimmick. To my surprise I've used the function two to three times a week, every week since taking delivery in May. It's brilliant.

jadnashuanh said:
In the USA by the end of 2017, all new light vehicles being sold must have reversing cameras as standard equipment and the manufacturers must add more models in the interim, so I expect more will have it as standard next model year and even more in 2016, then all of them by 2017. This may or may not carry over to the other markets. I haven't even tried the park assist on mine yet, but will not buy a new car without a backup camera.
I won't believe it until it actually happens. The car companies have gotten it pushed back twice now and there is no reason to expect them to not try and have it pushed back again.

And yes, bundling the camera and sensor with the parking stuff sucks. It's that way in the US also.

I agree it is a shame these items Are only available as part of a pack. I'm sure this is a conscious decision by BMW, they obviously feel they can maximise revenue by getting some people to buy more than they need, and more than offset those that will not but the full pack of they only want 1 or 2 items. I am only after the front parking sensors, maybe the rear camera and it is very frustrating these cannot be specced separately.

Hopefully they will upgrade it to include Bay Parking. Here in the UK about 50% of people do prefer to reverse in and then drive out of a parking bay.

I haven't checked recently, but BMW used to let their German customers order things pretty much on a line-by-line basis. If you want more than a few things, a package may be cheaper. Kind of annoying, since it would be easy to do since they already do do it, but that's how it is sold almost everywhere else - packages (with some small exceptions).

I agree about the package. I bought it because I wanted the sensors. Doubt Ill ever use the park assist as I can parallel park efficiently and quickly and I find the camera a distraction as I far prefer to use the mirrors.

Ok, humble pie and all that. In true flip-flop fashion, I changed my order and added the Park Assist Pack now.

:lol:

Given my health, I really need that backup camera to be safe...the other bits are less useful to me, but I had to bite the bullet to get my minimum. The resolution of the camera is probably the best I've seen on any car on the i3 - I think it is quite impressive compared to others (including an older BMW) that I've driven. I do not know if the business nav's screen is as clear - I have the professional nav screen on mine. The camera is a digital output...no analog signal.

I don't think you will regret it after viewing this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGoeIjSuJzo&list=PLX7JpqTQvRSFBQoKvU7gLXoELlJhByrn1&index=17

I had not spec'd Park Assist for the sensible (i.e. cost) reason given above but having seen how clever Park Assist is I could not resist ticking the box.

Main argument for the Park assist package in the end was how little noise the car makes when reversing. My wife reversed over a kids bike a few years ago - the child had skidded behind our car while we were parked and about to reverse out. The kid managed to run off in time, thankfully, so there was just material damage. Our car at the time had no sensors or cams.

Glad I added it to my spec now, although I'm still to hear whether it will extend our delivery date.

Unless the item is in short supply (the full leather interior was, still? was one item), I've been told that you can make changes up until a day or so before it starts production without issues. But, have no experience with trying. It depends on how adept the person taking the change request is to getting it in. BMW uses a JIT process, and the parts for your car may not be delivered until hours before it is to be built and a staged carefully. When I took one factory tour, they said even the order for seats may not have been made until a day before the car was to be built and in the factory near the Welt, over 200 trucks arrive in any one day on average bringing stuff in as it is needed to build the cars...there isn't a lot of room to stockpile stuff, and it makes it much easier to make a running change when you don't have a lot of old parts to use up first.

Jim

Thanks for your message - I was thinking along the same lines, but you never know.

Looking forward to late Feb (wk 9) and if it's a few days later, who cares? ;)

P

Had confirmation today that the relatively late addition of the Park Assist Pack has not delayed my i3.

All good.

Back