White i3 in UK

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darlouis

Hi,
I remember seeing an email to do this, post in member rides, so here's a quick intro with photo.
Second owner of a 2020 July build i3. Owned it since Feb 2021, so, heading towards three years of ownership. Due to COVID, and working with clients from home since, I haven't covered that many miles in the car. In fact the majority of miles put on it are probably related to caring for my now elderly parents. It's turned out to be a perfect car for that, with the high seat hight perfect for those with mobility issues, as long as using the front passenger seat only of course (rear a bit tricky). I bought the car with approx 1500 miles on it and the previous owner was the wife of the CEO of my local BMW dealer. The car now covered just under 6000 miles.

I've owned many BMW's in the past, all ICE, so the i3 was my first venture into the EV world. Longest I've owned a car is 7 years and think I will bypass that with the i3.

It's had a couple of issues since owning, thankfully covered under the warranty. The driver's seat creaked so the seat base was replaced and during the end of warranty check the AUC sensor was replaced.
Spec wise, pretty much base i3 spec with sun protection rear glass, parking assist inc sensors and rear camera and the 428 wheels.

Overall, I think the i3 is a fantastic car!
Photo is from my first experience charging away from home.

1703890536425.png

Last edited:
I’ve made an enquiry over a 2020 i3 myself and the dealer said to me today that the car is new in to them and hasnt had its AUC yet. You mention an AUC sensor above. What does AUC mean?

I’ve made an enquiry over a 2020 i3 myself and the dealer said to me today that the car is new in to them and hasnt had its AUC yet. You mention an AUC sensor above. What does AUC mean?
The AUC sensor in a BMW i3 stands for Interior Air Quality Sensor (but in German!). It's responsible for monitoring the air inside the car for pollutants and unpleasant odors.
Here's what the AUC sensor does:
  • Samples the air inside the vehicle.
  • Detects harmful gases or unpleasant smells.
  • Signals the climate control system to take action if contaminants are found.
This action might involve:
  • Increasing cabin air circulation to bring in fresh air.
  • Shutting off air intake from outside to prevent pollutants from entering.
A faulty AUC sensor can mean the climate control system isn't aware of poor air quality and doesn't take steps to address it.
It’s a small part at the back of the frunk, and is relatively straightforward to replace.
There were a small number of vehicles whose AUC was part of a faulty batch. These were apparently replaced under warranty.

Thanks for the clarification and long description.
I also asked the BMW dealer regarding their use of the term and they’ve said it meant “ approved used check”. Unfortunately, while I was waiting for a response on things like tyre tread etc which the sales person would come with the AUC, someone else reserved the car.

Thanks for the clarification and long description.
I also asked the BMW dealer regarding their use of the term and they’ve said it meant “ approved used check”. Unfortunately, while I was waiting for a response on things like tyre tread etc which the sales person would come with the AUC, someone else reserved the car.
I feel your pain!! 🤦🏼‍♂️
When we were looking for what was eventually the second hand white i3 we have now, we had the same issue, being “gazumped” on no less than three separate occasions at three BMW dealerships. Incredibly frustrating and awkward to get the “reserved” deposits back too! I almost gave up looking at approved used… the sites rarely update fast enough and good cars don’t hang around.
In the end we reserved an i3 from a dealership in Lincoln and bought it on spec, with just a video (but a very comprehensive one) and a service history. The delivery was free.
I never did that previously - but we got a gem.
I wish you luck in your search.

Back