New Hampshire Driving

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutguy52

Just had good opportunity to drive my 2014 REX during a winter storm watch due to an emergency - had to take a friend's dog to emergency vet during height of snowstorm about 58 miles roundtrip. Using EcoPro mode, the i3 handled great in snowy road conditions - 1-2" snow on main roads and 3-4" on secondary roads.

Had several steep hills, climbing immediately from a left or right turn. The traction control kicked in a second or two only a few times...car stayed straight, no issue when doing 20 mph up a steep hill. I did hit a large snow rut area on highway at 30 mph (35 mph zone) and noticed a bit of mis-steering with car drifting a bit towards the shoulder....letting up on the pedal helped recover immediately. I also like how the regen braking helps slow the car down especially downhill. I have just two Blizzaks on back....so far, no issues. The primary rule is SLOW DOWN!

When there is a winter storm normally I will be safely ensconced at home with fireplace blazing. But it's good to know in a pinch....

--- 2014 REX - ionic Silver Metallic, MegaWorld, heated front seats, 8.5" Nav System, BMW i Charging Station

troutguy52 said:
Just had good opportunity to drive my 2014 REX during a winter storm watch due to an emergency - had to take a friend's dog to emergency vet during height of snowstorm about 58 miles roundtrip. Using EcoPro mode, the i3 handled great in snowy road conditions - 1-2" snow on main roads and 3-4" on secondary roads.

Had several steep hills, climbing immediately from a left or right turn. The traction control kicked in a second or two only a few times...car stayed straight, no issue when doing 20 mph up a steep hill. I did hit a large snow rut area on highway at 30 mph (35 mph zone) and noticed a bit of mis-steering with car drifting a bit towards the shoulder....letting up on the pedal helped recover immediately. I also like how the regen braking helps slow the car down especially downhill. I have just two Blizzaks on back....so far, no issues. The primary rule is SLOW DOWN!

When there is a winter storm normally I will be safely ensconced at home with fireplace blazing. But it's good to know in a pinch....

--- 2014 REX - ionic Silver Metallic, MegaWorld, heated front seats, 8.5" Nav System, BMW i Charging Station

This latest storm dumped 14+" on us here and my i3 chugged right along on half-fast plowed roads just fine.

More importantly, how did the dog make out?

17959676-md.jpg

Sorry...late reply due to extended travel. Friend's dog did not make it, DOA which was quite sad (English Setter, 11 years old).

Since back we've added another 3 ft of snow but have not had any issues. Some range reduction on battery (expected) but I top off every night with home charger, usually just takes 2-3 hours to top off and good to go.

Back