Unlucky hills, REX warmup and 56 MPH --- it works!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisn

I was not able to charge at work today (apart from 2 hours on 110V), so had to do a 43 mile return trip with 38 mile indicated EV range. I knew this could be a challenge because the elevation profile of return trip looks like this:

ReturnElevation.png

As feared (but partially hoped for--- for the sake of science), the REX finally kicked in around Mile 40 (on the big final hill). I immediately slowed from 70-75 MPH to 65MPH. As soon as the blue bar moved to the left of the white arrow (SOC below 6.5% and falling), I set cruise control to 56MPH. I had radio off and was listening for the REX. I could not hear it. I suspect it was in warm up mode for at least 3-4 minutes (ambient temp around 70degs). The SOC kept shrinking, but slowly. Through some ups and downs (but still fundamentally pulling a big hill), I think I heard the REX get louder (but very hard to tell on open road). The SOC bar was not growing, but it wasn't shrinking either, so I sped to 60MPH (speed limit is 65MPH). When I was getting closer to the summit (and what I knew would be slowing traffic), I picked up speed to drive with flow of traffic (around 70mph). SOC went down, but not close to zero. As I slowed down from 70MPH to 35MPH or so, I could definitely hear the REX get quieter, but it was still chugging away. The last part of my trip is all downhill. Gravity and the REX recharged my buffer and the REX shut off completely for my last mile or so of surface street driving.

Two observations: First, the 55-56MPH sweet spot really does seem to help, especially while REX is in warm up mode. Although a bit annoying that I had to actively manage this scenario, at least I didn't naively hit the wall and face the 25MPH crawl of shame.

Second, as I reflect on the last five miles of my trip, I sort of wish I could have manually TURNED OFF the REX at the summit (or perhaps even a bit before the summit), knowing that I would be going downhill for the rest of the journey where I would do an L2 charge. Although I didn't burn much gas today, I burned most of it to charge the SOC back to 6.5% right before I plugged it in for a full charge. Kind of a perverse outcome, no?

Would be cool to have not just a Mountain Mode (move SOC buffer target to say 20%), but ALSO a "Stretch Mode" (move SOC buffer target to 2.5% (or whatever). With this level of control, I could have (i) kept driving at 70MPH with the flow of traffic up a pretty steep hill AND (ii) burned less gas overall.

Thanks for the information, informative and interesting.

Apparently running the battery down below the 6.5% or charging it to full (true full which BMW does not allow) is not good for the longevity of the battery. But it would be nice occasionally to use the rex manually.

Running the battery below 6.5% SOC is no problem for longevity - with a BEV you can do that every day. The battery has an untouchable reserve of 10% capacity below 0% SOC.

This is one point which annoys me too. Need the REx rarely. Most times on the last ascent before home. Same situation for me, the last 5 miles I could drive without draining the battery, even recharging it. I would love to have a chance to switch off the REx then. Same when the REx kicks in when I am only 2 or 3 miles away from home.

Not a big problem though. So far I have only driven 52km ( 32 miles ) with the REx on 5 different occasions. My fuel tank still has 7.3 litres of its first filling, never seen a gas station yet.

Frank

I've had the power loss issue once, but it was expected because I was on a longer trip. I was trying to get over a mountain range and the car fell to around 36mph at the lowest, but around 45mph on average. I just pulled over to the right lane and put on the hazard lights for a few miles. I'll be coding my car to enable the REX maintain feature in the future, but don't really plan on taking this car on long trips.

Back