i3 regen braking - as it appears to other drivers

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railpass

Question. Local dealer provided me an i3 for 4 days as an extended test drive. Great way to get to know the car.

In stop and go traffic I was finnessing the 'gas' pedal such that I never had to use the brake. When I finally came to a full stop, the driver behind me exited his car, ran up to me to kindly inform me that my rear brake lots were not functioning.

Does something like this happen very often with the i3? I just smiled and thanked him.

I've not had that happen. Note, depending on your actual deceleration rate, at some point, the car will turn on the brake lights, even if you never use the pedal. As you've noted, though, if you get good with coasting, similar to an ICE, you may not need the brakes much. The ICE would often require them to hold it in stopped position, but maybe not to slow significantly.

I've not had this happen to me either and I very rarely use the brake pedal nowadays (approaching 2 yrs with my i3 now). There's a good video on youtube showing what the brake lights do in various driving situations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXJPf7Lv8Sw
Seems unlikely, but perhaps your loaner actually does have defective brake lights! :)

Back