UK Order v Delivery Dates

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RJSATLBA said:
I was about to make a change to my order to add the Harman Kardon upgrade after seeing several very favourable comments but after seeing MrM's unfortunate experience of losing his place in the order queue I'm not so sure.

Has anyone else in the UK had this problem after amending their order?

I was warned by my dealer that it could be an issue if amending an order, so I didn't.

Bill

RJSATLBA said:
I was about to make a change to my order to add the Harman Kardon upgrade after seeing several very favourable comments but after seeing MrM's unfortunate experience of losing his place in the order queue I'm not so sure.

I changed my hijacked order on the 3 March to add HandK speakers and colour change to Andesit, I also cancelled enhanced BT (big mistake I think). Although the dealer said that these changes might cause delay on the end, they didn't. Car ready to be collected from dealer.

Glad your i3 is ready!

Do you mean cancelling enhanced bluetooth was a mistake or ordering it in the first place? I am still far from clear what it does, although i ordered it anyway! I am guessing its mainly voice control, which i am fairly indifferent about. However i have a feeling there is more to it.

Bunter said:
RJSATLBA said:

I was warned by my dealer that it could be an issue if amending an order, so I didn't.

Bill
This whole issue of orders and changes and delivery dates. My experience is , with the LCI 5 series and before, is that BMW builds to order as opposed to a manufacturing run. So each vehicle is unique. When it gets a chassis number that is it the order is set. If you change something when it is down the line then you lose it. (And it looks like you go to back of queue). Now from what I see dealers used to place speculative orders which were in the queue and they could change options on but not engine type for example. I presume that the i3 has a similar scheme although it looks like they are not allowing dealers to have speculative slots.

It looks like they scheduled a run of launch models with the same spec for NA. Trying I guess to get more product earlier. They have not done this before because of the aggravation to customers it causes. I guess they won't do that again.

So until you have a chassis number, i.e. the order is scheduled for production, the dealer can't give you a date so they set pessimistic expectations. Now if an order gets cancelled when it's on the line I assume someone can get lucky if their spec matches what's already underway.

There used to be a website where the NA clients could track their chassis on the line does anyone know if we have that for Leipzig?

electricvirgin said:
Glad your i3 is ready!

Do you mean cancelling enhanced bluetooth was a mistake or ordering it in the first place? I am still far from clear what it does, although i ordered it anyway! I am guessing its mainly voice control, which i am fairly indifferent about. However i have a feeling there is more to it.

Yes cancelling the enhanced was a mistake. I tried to get a definitive answer of what it does but the truth not forthcoming.
The voice control is part of the Proffesional Navigation. The enhanced option should have armrest connectivity through an additional snap in holder. I was about to order this holder but the dealer said it is wasted as my arm rest would not be per-wired. Of course I can just rest my iphone inside while plugged into the usb socket but It means I can't benefit from the external aerial. Album Artwork, SMS, emails is part of enhanced although someone did post that emails can be received via the BMW connect service.

BoMW said:
electricvirgin said:
Glad your i3 is ready!

Yes cancelling the enhanced was a mistake. I tried to get a definitive answer of what it does but the truth not forthcoming.
The voice control is part of the Proffesional Navigation. The enhanced option should have armrest connectivity through an additional snap in holder. I was about to order this holder but the dealer said it is wasted as my arm rest would not be per-wired. Of course I can just rest my iphone inside while plugged into the usb socket but It means I can't benefit from the external aerial. Album Artwork, SMS, emails is part of enhanced although someone did post that emails can be received via the BMW connect service.

I get album art over bluetooth without the enhanced bluetooth, with the Pro Nav but only with an iOS device not with an Android device?!

Bill

Also watch out as there is a 'music' adaptor which just routes audio not much different from Bluetooth and a 'multimedia' adaptor which does all the other stuff and needs the enhanced connectivity. Dealers tend to be a bit fuzzy on this as it depends on the phone as to what is supported and they are not trained on all phones which keep changing. From what I see BMW tries to keep up with iPhone and used to be Nokia now Samsung. Also Apples introduction of iCar is going to test the compatibility again. Can't be too hard on dealers when it is moving so quickly.

BoMW said:
Album Artwork, SMS, emails is part of enhanced although someone did post that emails can be received via the BMW connect service.
After six months I am still trying to get SMS and email to come up on F10. Requires a visit to the genius. There are a whole lot of forums with details on how to make sure that the firmware is updated to match the phone. Also on the owners site you can download to USB an updated interface patch and upload that via the USB port in the car. On the iPhone there are then a lot of settings you have to get right to make it work. Having emails made to be notifications so that they show in lock mode.

My conclusion is that as each end of this gets more complicated forums like this will be key to get anything to work when the dealers can't keep up.

There are a whole lot of forums with details on how to make sure that the firmware is updated to match the phone. Also on the owners site you can download to USB an updated interface patch and upload that via the USB port in the car. On the iPhone there are then a lot if settings you have to get right to make it work. Having emails be notifications so that they show in lock mode.

I would be happy to get the SMS facility from this enhance BT if it were possible.

m11wlk said:
An opportunity to share my pain :) - REX

Watched the launch 'live' July 2013
Went to Frankfurt and checked it out September 2013
Asked my company to order one October 2013
Company actually got around to confirming order with BMW (after much debate about the £5k grant and pricing) 29 November 2013
Estimated delivery 23 May 2014 (unchanged since placed)

Only another few weeks now.

Mike

I got an email this morning....

'Delays at the factory' - new delivery date 4 July 2014

:cry:

That sounds like the "estimated" date has now become a "firm" build date.

I would be gutted.

I am now feeling my estimated September - I just rechecked the order form - means Christmas. :(

I'm back on track...

The dealer queried the change and it seems to have been put back broadly as it was, so my build is wk 19 (early May) and delivery wk 22 (end May).

They did say that orders today were looking about December delivery.

[
m11wlk said:

Company actually got around to confirming order with BMW (after much debate about the £5k grant and pricing) 29 November 2013

Mike

I got an email this morning....

'Delays at the factory' - new delivery date 4 July 2014

:cry:[/quote]

m11wlk: this does not bode well for my 5th May delivery date -- have chased the Lease Company today to check. It is a pain in the @rse working through a lease company and not getting updates directly from BMW and the dealership.

Fingers crossed it will still be delivered in 2 weeks time.

m11wlk said:

Mike
About to order a REX through the company car scheme... how is the £5K gov grant taken care of in your scheme ? Looking at the pricing looks to me like its ignored on ours...

Mike
About to order a REX through the company car scheme... how is the £5K gov grant taken care of in your scheme ? Looking at the pricing looks to me like its ignored on ours...

Money goes straight to BMW. They apply for the grant on your behalf. If it doesn't turn up you owe BMW £5k.

Gonville said:
Mike

Money goes straight to BMW. They apply for the grant on your behalf. If it doesn't turn up you owe BMW £5k.
Thanks. I guess thats a win for BMW then as it doesn't look like it gets passed on to our leasing company (LeasePlan) and on to me via the company car scheme... shame :-(

I do believe that the benefit of the £5k ultimately came to me through my company's lease quote - although getting there took some time.

I've been sidelining the company / lease team a bit recently and going direct to the supplying dealer who have been helpful.

Latest from my dealer.

No updates as yet – there will probably be no news for the next few months. We monitor all of our i3 orders so if the build week does come forward we will let you know. With regards to a chassis number, that is only assigned to the car approximately two weeks prior to the build week, again meaning it won’t be available for a few months yet.

Just had confirmation that my car has been built (ordered 17th December 2013) and will be in the UK late May (not sure why they cant give me a date) and will b ready for delivery 7-10 days after that!

Can't wait.

Back