2014 vs 2015

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recipe0

Hey,

I am thinking of taking one of these deals that are being offered on the 2014 i3s. Is there a compelling reason to buy a 2015? I heard something from a 2014 i3 owner about hitches in the charging-- sometimes it stops randomly. She was thinking that might get worked out in the 2015. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

recipe0 said:
I am thinking of taking one of these deals that are being offered on the 2014 i3s. Is there a compelling reason to buy a 2015?
If you buy a 2014 with the DC Quick Charging package and heated seats, it would be essentially identical to a 2015 model that comes standard with these 2014 options.

recipe0 said:
I heard something from a 2014 i3 owner about hitches in the charging-- sometimes it stops randomly. She was thinking that might get worked out in the 2015. Any thoughts?
It's all firmware. Anything that was fixed in a 2015 would be available in a firmware upgrade for 2014 models.

The only thing that is on the latest 2015 models that is not possible to change on the 2014 is the tailgate button on the keyfob. At some point the motor/engine cover was changed from carbon fiber to aluminum also.

For i3's with Comfort Access, is there any reason to have a tailgate button? Just grabbing the tailgate handle with the fob in one's pocket unlocks the tailgate.

But I would miss the fob button that opens the frunk since Comfort Access doesn't open the frunk. Maybe the tailgate button can be assigned to open the frunk somewhere in iDrive.

alohart said:
For i3's with Comfort Access, is there any reason to have a tailgate button? Just grabbing the tailgate handle with the fob in one's pocket unlocks the tailgate.

But I would miss the fob button that opens the frunk since Comfort Access doesn't open the frunk. Maybe the tailgate button can be assigned to open the frunk somewhere in iDrive.

Completely agree. It's unbelievable that they changed the button on the 2015s.

It can be coded to open either, though. Not sure why they don't give you a menu choice in iDrive.

on my UK 2015 model the tailgate (diamond shape) button can be reassigned using standard menu options. I've reassigned mine to warm/cool the car as I have comfort access already. Also the frunk button could be reassigned but I've left it controlling the front as default. Are these menu options not the same everywhere else?

a4refillpad said:
on my UK 2015 model the tailgate (diamond shape) button can be reassigned using standard menu options. I've reassigned mine to warm/cool the car as I have comfort access already. Also the frunk button could be reassigned but I've left it controlling the front as default. Are these menu options not the same everywhere else?
Nope, us uncultured north americans can't handle the ability to reassign our buttons.

Back