2016 i3 in the United States- REX only?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tirpitz

I'm watching the i3 market hoping to score either a killer deal on a new 2015 or 2016 or buy a used 2014 off lease later in the year. In looking at who has 2015 models still in stock I've started to notice that all the 2016 models here in southern California are REX. No BEV offered. I figured perhaps that reflected what was actually selling for the local dealers. Even the few that are listed with no mention of REX seem to actually be REX models. Then I noticed yesterday that BMWUSA has listed leases offers on 2015 BEV, 2015 REX, and 2016 REX but no BEV offer.

Anyone know if all the US cars for 2016 will be REX or whether there will be some BEV cars out there? I'd consider a 2016 deal later in the year but our needs are such that a BEV works fine. I'd rather not pay the cost, carry the extra weight, and incur the maintenance costs of the gas engine. Long term our goal is to drive the car for 10+ years and keeping the gas engine out makes that much more feasible.

It may be that the BEV's are selling faster, and all they have left are the REx versions. I cannot see BMW limiting the i3 to a REx only for the USA. You might broaden your search since trucking it to you isn't all that expensive. Some of it may also be the permit for the HOV lanes.

There are at least some 2016 BEVs in the US because they did the special Shadow Sport edition in BEV only. I agree that in California at least the BEV would be in greater demand due to the white HOV stickers.

Here is a BEV at the dealer I bought my REx at.

http://www.bmwroswell.com/detail-2016-bmw-i3-16_bmw_i3_4dr_hb-new-15017822.html

Back