2017 i3 BEV

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really sure how to make the image pop up here, but I took a pic of my key fob & uploaded to my google drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Qj7yREZ5NWOTI1SGpna0FoSTQ

onychophagia said:
I just leased the 2016 i3 on 5/29/16 and had only meant to lurk this forum, but after reading all the complaints about the fob not having a dedicated button for the trunk I decided I needed to register if only to clear up this one bit:

My key fob has a dedicated trunk button. Pushing said button opens the trunk, whether the car is locked or not (like a normal car).

It appears this is a new development, as I'm brand new to the community and had no idea this was an issue before, I was very confused about what everybody had an issue with. Hope that helps you out lol.

Where are you located? I believe in US only that key is replaced with emergency button. That would honestly be great.

I think most people want to dismiss this valid complaint, and don't actually read the part about "why do I have a useless Frunk key."

epirali said:
onychophagia said:
I just leased the 2016 i3 on 5/29/16 and had only meant to lurk this forum, but after reading all the complaints about the fob not having a dedicated button for the trunk I decided I needed to register if only to clear up this one bit:

My key fob has a dedicated trunk button. Pushing said button opens the trunk, whether the car is locked or not (like a normal car).

It appears this is a new development, as I'm brand new to the community and had no idea this was an issue before, I was very confused about what everybody had an issue with. Hope that helps you out lol.

Where are you located? I believe in US only that key is replaced with emergency button. That would honestly be great.

I think most people want to dismiss this valid complaint, and don't actually read the part about "why do I have a useless Frunk key."

NorCal, I was at the East Bay BMW in Pleasanton, CA.

onychophagia said:
So maybe BMW has fixed it and we can take it off the list. Now if they would just offer the new fob to existing owners, or offer to code our existing fobs. Tesla updates the vehicle ever couple of weeks, BMW could at least re-code our key fobs.

Boatguy said:
onychophagia said:
So maybe BMW has fixed it and we can take it off the list. Now if they would just offer the new fob to existing owners, or offer to code our existing fobs. Tesla updates the vehicle ever couple of weeks, BMW could at least re-code our key fobs.

Honestly I know it seems picky but that is indeed good news. As I said I coded mine and issue was resolved, but I can't recommend the solution to people who simply aren't willing to do it. But a new key fob or option works fine.

So, now people will complain that they have to actually push the button in the car to open the frunk.

FWIW, BMW does listen, but doesn't react quickly in most cases. Sometimes, IMHO, for the worse. The original release of the i3 had a more aggressive regeneration maximum rate without a delay. First, they reduced the maximum regen because people wouldn't read the manual or understand that you need to feather the pedal to keep things smooth, then, later, they adjusted the timing...regen now doesn't start if you fully release the pedal for a short time, then rapidly ramps up to maximum, or at least, that's how it feels to me.

In this case, I think it's silly, and I actually liked the higher regen better - I had no problem driving the car smoothly after about the first hour because I actually read the manual, and understood what and how it worked. The car is not the same as most any other one out there, especially when it comes to how the APU (REx) works. It was never intended to provide the car with the ability to keep going at any load at any time once the battery became depleted, but people do not understand that. If that was a major issue, they bought the wrong car. You can work your way around that, but only if you understand and are actually paying attention to what's going on in the car. It appears that the 2017 got their APU (auxiliary power unit) (REx) tweaked and it produces a little bit more power...so, now, you might be able to sustain 75mph verses 70 on the flat and level...won't know for sure until a bit more info is released. Down side...higher gas consumption, louder, hotter; you don't get more power without a downside very often.

onychophagia said:
Not really sure how to make the image pop up here, but I took a pic of my key fob & uploaded to my google drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Qj7yREZ5NWOTI1SGpna0FoSTQ
What a nail biter, indeed. I guess this is why BMW included key fobs for model years 2015 and 2016 i3s with an i8 icon. They reassigned the function of that button from opening the front trunk to opening the back trunk but didn't redraw the icon.

The re-mapping seems redundant on the new key, since pressing the unlock button will also open the trunk. (And if you have Comfort Access, which requires just pressing the trunk-latch button to unlock, it's even more redundant.) As a result, on the 2015s and 2016s, you can't access the frunk from outside the car anymore. I agree with Jim: the 2014 way is more logical with the fob's limited buttons. And it depicts the correct car.

I think when they designed the car for 2014, the remote for the frunk is because the charging cable get used everyday until later owners are buying L2 charging unit at home and the air compressor/sealent cause our skinny tires attract nail lol.

The trunk was designed with the same reason as no power seats, no motor, less weight.

Wow, really?

Early 2015 they switched the key fobs on the i3, the i3 now uses the i8 key fobs with the hatch button in place of the i3 fobs with the frunk button. My car is a March 2015 build and it has i8 fobs, it also has comfort access so I actually would prefer the original i3 fobs with the frunk buttons, my OCD also doesn't like that the picture is of an i8 and not an i3. But since I'm not prude to coding, I coded my REx an hour after driving off the lot, I have coded my buttons to do both. Medium press pops the frunk, long press pops the hatch. Medium press on lock will fold in my mirrors and medium press on my panic will start preconditioning, no need to get out the phone, log into the app and hope that it can communicate with the car.

I'm surprised this isn't common knowledge, but to OP, if you are considering another i3, it will most likely have i8 fobs (unless for some reason they change back) and the button will pop the hatch instead of the frunk.

$_35.JPG

^^ Above, US BMW i3 key fobs used on BMW i3 at start of vehicle production (2014) to rolling changes made in early 2015.

s-l500.jpg

^^ Above, US BMW i8 standard key fob used on BMW i3 starting early 2015 through current production.

So the i8 has two different key fobs?

I have seen this one, didn't realise they have an i3 style fob as well.

bmwkeyi8-660x350.jpg

See the little picture of the car on the upper left hand corner? It is the same shape/drawing as the early 2015+ i3 key fobs, the shape is of an i8, not an i3. I'm not sure if that fob is optional or if the car only comes with one, and then the secondary key is the other type, usually vehicles come with two "keys" or fobs, and knowing how cheap BMW can be sometimes I would suspect it is either optional or that you only get one, and then the secondary key is a more traditional fob.

FrancisJeffries said:
However, my i3 is nearly 2 years old, and when I press CarPlay on the iPhone, and press the MODE button to the left of the car's volume knob, Bingo - the music comes out of the car's speakers! :eek: There doesn't seem to be a need to press the voice button on the steering wheel, either, but Bluetooth must be on. MODE seems to switch between the available audio inputs.

It sounds like you are describing standard Bluetooth. There is no "CarPlay" button on iPhones. Maybe you are confusing AirPlay with CarPlay? Carplay also currently requires a physical Lightning cable connection.

jadnashuanh said:
So, now people will complain that they have to actually push the button in the car to open the frunk.

FWIW, BMW does listen, but doesn't react quickly in most cases. Sometimes, IMHO, for the worse. The original release of the i3 had a more aggressive regeneration maximum rate without a delay. First, they reduced the maximum regen because people wouldn't read the manual or understand that you need to feather the pedal to keep things smooth, then, later, they adjusted the timing...regen now doesn't start if you fully release the pedal for a short time, then rapidly ramps up to maximum, or at least, that's how it feels to me.

In this case, I think it's silly, and I actually liked the higher regen better - I had no problem driving the car smoothly after about the first hour because I actually read the manual, and understood what and how it worked. The car is not the same as most any other one out there, especially when it comes to how the APU (REx) works. It was never intended to provide the car with the ability to keep going at any load at any time once the battery became depleted, but people do not understand that. If that was a major issue, they bought the wrong car. You can work your way around that, but only if you understand and are actually paying attention to what's going on in the car. It appears that the 2017 got their APU (auxiliary power unit) (REx) tweaked and it produces a little bit more power...so, now, you might be able to sustain 75mph verses 70 on the flat and level...won't know for sure until a bit more info is released. Down side...higher gas consumption, louder, hotter; you don't get more power without a downside very often.
Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but funny story: I found this thread because the lease on my 2014 Rex was up so I ordered a 2017 and when I tried to open the frunk this morning nothing happened. Then I got in the car and it said the rear was open. The thing is, I could have sworn I used the remote to open it at the dealership.

As for the regen, I wonder if they lowered as part of the fix for engine mounting bolts sheering.

Hey, at least they replaced the off-white floor mats.

FWIW, I don't think the shock to the drivetrain from the original regen settings would be anywhere near as drastic as hitting a bump, getting a wheel unloaded (worst case, off the ground!) then the jerk when you regained full traction. When they did that, they had not experienced the motor bolt issue...that came nearly a year later if my memory is intact.

Back