2019 i3 REX; should I buy an extended warranty?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobtea

I just test drove a 2016 i3 ($20k) and fell in love.
I have also found a 2019 i3 for $25k.
Both have around 25k miles on them.
I’m leaning towards buying the 2019. If I buy this one is it worth it to buy the extended warranty package for $4200? Or am I just paying a lot extra for stuff I’ll never use?

Definitely buy the 2019. Its battery has twice the capacity of the 2016. Its original four-year warranty could still be in effect, depending on when it was initially registered. And you'll get at least three additional years of battery warranty. More if you live in a CARB state. The 2019 benefits from the ongoing refinement. I've had a 2014, 2017, and now 2021. The differences are subtle but definitely there. The 2019 will have better headlights and standard wireless CarPlay, for example.

I've purchased extended warranties for vehicles in the past and concluded they're a losing proposition. The warranty company is betting you'll spend less on repairs than the price they charge you while you're betting you'll spend more. Given the data they have from the overall pool of vehicles and analysis of actuaries, the odds are in their favor. If it were me, I'd take the $4200 and park it in a money market account to pay for future repairs. My guess is you'll still have money in the account when you sell the i3.

I have no experience with this but have read that the warranty is probably not worth it. The best thing that you can do is pay that same amount of money into an account and keep it for a rainy day. Besides, don't these warranty companies require some deductible to make repairs? Somebody chime in if this is your experience.

duanew said:
I have no experience with this but have read that the warranty is probably not worth it. The best thing that you can do is pay that same amount of money into an account and keep it for a rainy day. Besides, don't these warranty companies require some deductible to make repairs? Somebody chime in if this is your experience.

Most plans I’ve found have a $100-200 deductible depending on which plan you purchase. Which is a lot cheaper than any repairs.

I have a 2019 i3S with Rex and concur about the other posters' suspicions of extended warranty. I now have 25k on my car and the only thing that has needed attention is the 12 volt battery (which you must watch like a hawk and change at about 3 years). You would do better to divide the 4200.00 into monthly hunks and then put those hunks into the bank every month so as to have cash for fixes if need be. Then, if there are no fixes you have a nice little pile. I had such a warranty on a Land Rover in the 90s and did not feel that I got my money's worth at all.

i3 seems so far to be an extremely reliable car. I'd lay in a spare set of tires front and rear and keep these for emergencies as they are not so easy to get, and depending on the streets where you live, are easily damaged. Good luck.

Which state are you! In many PZEV states REX has 15-yr/150,000 mile warranty. It sounds crazy, but that is the case in California. Of course dealers will deny this and too lazy to check, but if you need service BMW will cover it.

The California Emission Control System Limited Warranty coverage periods of 15 years/150,000 miles
and 10 years/150,000 miles, as noted above, apply to vehicles registered in California, Connecticut,
Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, or Vermont.
The Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) is covered for 15 years/150,000 miles, whichever occurs first, in all
states including Puerto Rico. Please refer to the Federal Emission Warranty statement on pages 5–8.

Back