3M Crystalline Window Tint installed

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just had Solar Guard (Ultra Performance) added today, went "40" all around, but I did "60" on the front window. Those are 2 of the lightest tints available, I like the windows to be as clear as possible. The front window was a real peach for them to do (took 2x), but looks great and helps cut down heat considerably. Almost tried 3M Crystal, but I have used SG Ultimate on my past few cars and really like it. Local shop I have used for over 15 years and probably 10+ cars always does a great job. $380 OTD cash BTW

man alive this stuff is not cheap. just got a quote in the bay area for $950 for all windows (no windshield) and $500 extra for the windshield. am i losing my mind or is that crazy prices? it's from a super reputable shop but it's definitely test my limits for how much i'll pay

b

Labor rates vary all over the place, and not all shops have been certified to be able to install the 3M crystalline stuff, that makes competition a bit of a problem, and the price shows it. Unless you're willing to go elsewhere, if the shop is not willing to negotiate, you're stuck if you want it.

I just had mine tinted with Crystaline 70%. However, there is a gap at the bottom windows that has no film. I haven't talked with the store yet. Is it doable to tint the entire window?

1877.jpg

pookiepc said:
I just had mine tinted with Crystaline 70%. However, there is a gap at the bottom windows that has no film. I haven't talked with the store yet. Is it doable to tint the entire window?

1877.jpg

Are you expecting to get a different answer here than you got from the numerous responses on the FB group? Instead of using a roll of film that was wide enough, the shop apparently chose to do this and hope you wouldn't notice.

i3atl said:
pookiepc said:

1877.jpg

Are you expecting to get a different answer here than you got from the numerous responses on the FB group? Instead of using a roll of film that was wide enough, the shop apparently chose to do this and hope you wouldn't notice.

Sorry about that. I thought here would get more answers related to 3M Crystalline. Anyway, I already talked with the store and got some discount.
Will keep it as it is.

pookiepc said:

1877.jpg

I'm scheduled for an install next week for 3M 70%. Won't mind if you can post some photos to see the result.

Came across this thread and wanted to add a photo of an BMW i3 we wrapped in 3M Crystalline 40 Window Tint and Crystalline 70 on the windshield. We are an authorized Llumar and 3M dealer in Norcross, GA. We are also the only Crystalline Certified dealer in GA. Check out the i3 below and our information. If you have any questions about the film, I will be happy to answer them even if your not in GA.

DynamicAppearance.com
AtlantaTint.com
Facebook.com/DynamicAppearance

27938122123_14f52ab420_b.jpg

I'll be following up if I ever find someone who will tint the front. Legality aside, my preferred tint shop said he wouldn't do it. He was nice about it but basically said that he's getting older now and he's being picky about customers he takes on. The challenge of the curvature of the i3's front windshield as others have stated is not impossible, but it just doesn't make business sense for him to risk any damage to the dash, take longer than a normal windshield should take and expose himself to any risk of a less than stellar job.

It may be tough to find someone local who's done it for our cars before but still looking in the Bay Area, CA, USA.

When I bought my i3 as a lease return, it had the 3M Crystalline window tint installed on the windshield. I know the claim is that it is as clear as the glass it goes onto - but I found that not to really be the case. The previous owner had some sort of parking pass on the inside of the passenger side of the windshield, and removed it before they turned in the car - leaving a nice ragged hole in the tint. Shop I took it to said the could patch it so it would be almost invisible, or just remove the tint and re-do it. Looking at the difference in 'view' between looking through the tint, and looking through the glass where the tint was missing - made me just have it tint removed from the windshield completely and left without the tint.

Back