66 mile round-trip commute Monday to Friday

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim,

I enjoy using mine occasionally to go long distance (1000 mile round trips, crossing several EU countries). Most of these regions restrict me to drive at 70 or 75 mph anyway, so cruising at those speeds in electric or REx mode works perfectly for me. REx owners cover more electric miles than BEV owners, that's a fact, because the REx is still used for journeys where others would use their ICEs. However 92% of my i3 miles are electric.

It's all about perspective. Your perfect tool is a BEV. Mine is the REx.

Nothing against the REx version. Europe has a much more robust (but still not fantastic) recharging network compared to most of the USA, and 1,000-miles will only get you less than 1/3'rd the way across the country (lots of not much in the middle!)...so, electric cars in the USA work better for shorter distances. Many in Europe are also much more used to smaller cars, so the size of the i3 isn't an issue. Americans, rightly or not, are used to bigger vehicles. 33-miles each way would be pushing the range of the BEV on a cold day, but easily within range with the REx (and may never be needed). On a warm day, no issue for the BEV, either, but you have no control over that! I find the i3 comfortable, but a couple of hours is about my limit in it...not so with my other car. Everyone's different. If you understand what it is, it could easily work out, and your running costs (depreciation aside) will be a pleasant surprise with any i3.

sliksal02 said:
Is the REx a viable option for me? It's primarily a highway commute, about 33 miles each way, with average speeds over the week of around 35 mph (but significant stretches of 70+ on the highway). There's chargers in the parking garage in my office. There's also chargers 3 blocks away at home (at the local civic center) but, and this is worrying me, my garage in my apartment building has no power sockets. I can't charge it at home. I could very easily leave the car at the civic center overnight, though. And I could get a full 6-8 hour charge at work. But I'm a little worried about weekends.

Does the REx make sense for me? I currently spend about $170 in gas alone per month.

P.S. this is Los Angeles driving on the 405, mostly.

My commute is very similar, though my average speeds are probably faster. My RT commute is 60 miles, and I almost always drive a few miles to lunch so I'm right around 66 miles/day. I also drive ~ 10 miles most mornings to/from the gym. I have reliable access to chargers at the office... in the 6 months I have owned the car I can only think of one day I didn't leave the office at 100% charge. As a result I rarely charge at home, but rarely <> never. I'm on the REx probably 1/2 of the mornings I arrive at the office, and it usually kicks in around 5-6 miles from the office. I do notice pretty rapid decline in SOC even after the REx kicks in... as if it isn't making its full 34hp until it warms up. This could be caused by my lead foot as well :D

Back