75 miles with some big hills... all electric

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJBarry

The following image shows my commute for the other day. On the way in, I took a different route that is longer and has more hills, but avoided traffic. On the way home it was a little more direct and without as steep of grades. When I got home, the battery was still saying 10 more miles. I'm pretty happy with this little guy.

I used this awesome page to generate these elevation maps.

That is a great site for trip planning. How did you download the images from the page? I can only save as a PNG image which I don't have any programs that will enable me to manipulate the image. Thanks.

Very useful link. Was surprised to find how much elevation change there is on my commute. Makes me even more impressed with 80+ mile range.

3610 ft of elevation gain and loss on my round trip of 62 miles. Some pretty steep climbs with a couple miles at over 8 percent grade. i3 flies up the hills with no problem.

The spacing, and the fact you can regain some of the energy used to go up a hill on the other side can make them almost disappear...but, not if you're almost at the end of the SOC while trying to go up one. The magic is to understand this, and to avoid it!

Marki3 said:
That is a great site for trip planning. How did you download the images from the page? I can only save as a PNG image which I don't have any programs that will enable me to manipulate the image. Thanks.
What OS? I used "Paint" which came with Windows. But if you want something more powerful, check out Gimp.
jadnashuanh said:
The spacing, and the fact you can regain some of the energy used to go up a hill on the other side can make them almost disappear...but, not if you're almost at the end of the SOC while trying to go up one. The magic is to understand this, and to avoid it!
Yes, it takes practice - and I'm still learning. Funny thing is on the first leg when I hit that big hill early on, my predicted battery mileage quickly dumps down to 44 miles, but then it stays at 44 miles for the rest of the trip which is net downhill ;). Heading home, which nets uphill, I just have to watch my speed. Staying around 65 on the steep uphill parts is usually enough to stretch my battery for the full ride.

RJBarry said:
The following image shows my commute for the other day. On the way in, I took a different route that is longer and has more hills, but avoided traffic. On the way home it was a little more direct and without as steep of grades. When I got home, the battery was still saying 10 more miles. I'm pretty happy with this little guy.
/url]
I used this awesome page to generate these elevation maps.

If you used that link, you must have been in another land;->
Can't get to USA version.

See my nearby "NEGATIVE Consumption" score post, regarding hilly terrain.

RJBarry said:
Marki3 said:
What OS? I used "Paint" which came with Windows. But if you want something more powerful, check out Gimp.
jadnashuanh said:
Yes, it takes practice - and I'm still learning. Funny thing is on the first leg when I hit that big hill early on, my predicted battery mileage quickly dumps down to 44 miles, but then it stays at 44 miles for the rest of the trip which is net downhill ;). Heading home, which nets uphill, I just have to watch my speed. Staying around 65 on the steep uphill parts is usually enough to stretch my battery for the full ride.

I am under the impression that the onboard navigation takes elevation into account. It purposely led me off a newer higher hillside US 7 in favor of the valley floor old US 7 in Vermont for my 54 mile trip I describe elsewhere in this REX page. I somehow wound up with a NEGATIVE .2 consumption....Nobody can explain it.

Back