Adapter to charge an i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbmwjim

Does anybody know if there is an adapter to use Tesla charging stations to charge an i3. I drove by one the other day, 6 stations, no Tesla's, what a waste! Thanks, Jim

As far as I know there is no adapter. I believe there is a lot more to it than just having the correct connector. All sorts of electric gubbins would need amending (think a transformer x10).

Governments and automakers wonder why mass-adoption of EV's hasn't been quicker... if only there were places (we'll call them "stations") on nearly every street corner, where driver's could stop and put a universally standardized "fuel" delivery system into the side of their vehicle (no matter which brand they have) to replenish the on-board energy storage vessel... what a magical world we would live in! :D

Both the TEsla AND CHADEMO rely on what amounts to a full duplex Ethernet connection to communicate between the charger and the vehicle. The J1772 CCS chargers do not have those, nor does the car. While it would be possible to build a smart computer to put in between to coordinate the two different methods (the J1772 system imposes a 20MHz signal on top of two (one in/one out) of the DC control lines). IOW, while maybe technically possible, it wouldn't be just a dumb pin converter plug, nor cheap.

Not sure the volume would justify it, nor would the car necessarily have the communications back to Tesla to authorize payment. 'Free' charging at a Superstation only 'comes' with the 85Kw battery models...otherwise, people have to pay for the power and the right to connect. For that 'free' service, others pay something like $3K.

Back