Any Aussie i3 buyers satisfied with info from their dealer

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazza

Hi there

Trying to ascertain whether anyone here is Aus is happy with information they have been able to source regarding various aspects of their pending purchase. Seems BMW may have product Genius people here provided you can actually contact them. After the i8 release to the media a fortnight ago some vague info tricked out. I have a long list of queries I figured were relevant such as details of the 360 electric program and flexible mobility for Aus, dealer charging facilities to expect, tire availability and cost as they will only be avail from BMW, insurance classification expected for the car here. With a release date being 3 weeks away one has to wonder about the preparedness for this new model, or am I just worrying in advance and should instead be trusting of the dealer???

What do others think?

Cheers Gazza

Brisbane

I do not know about the suppliers in AUS, but in the USA, at least some independent tire dealers have the Bridgestone OEM tires for the i3...they also have a few for the i8, and can special order them should you need more than they have. IOW, at least here, BMW is not the sole source for tires on the I-series vehicles.

Gazza said:
Hi there

Trying to ascertain whether anyone here is Aus is happy with information they have been able to source regarding various aspects of their pending purchase. Seems BMW may have product Genius people here provided you can actually contact them. After the i8 release to the media a fortnight ago some vague info tricked out. I have a long list of queries I figured were relevant such as details of the 360 electric program and flexible mobility for Aus, dealer charging facilities to expect, tire availability and cost as they will only be avail from BMW, insurance classification expected for the car here. With a release date being 3 weeks away one has to wonder about the preparedness for this new model, or am I just worrying in advance and should instead be trusting of the dealer???

What do others think?

Cheers Gazza

Brisbane

Sounds much the same as it was here in the US about 3 weeks prior to release.

Gazza said:
What do others think?

I think they are struggling a bit. The cars have been here for a while, as far as I can tell they are all sold so there is little work for the salespeople other than to finalise paperwork and organise delivery. They are working on charge system quotes because I have had contact about that but no quote yet. I don't think I'll need one though

Ring your insurer regarding insurance. I rang a month or so ago and they had no idea, but today they now actually know about the car and are getting back to me with a quote.

Regarding tyres, don't take any crap. It is really easy to buy tyres from tirerack.com so if there is a ripoff happening, you know where to go. That won't save you from accidental damage unless you pre-purchase though. If the prices here are crazy then that is exactly what I'd do. A set of EP500's for 19" wheels is US$522 and the last set of 4 tyres I imported cost US$270 fedex freight and shipping time door to door was 12 days.

Bridgestone Australia head office informs me that the tyres are scheduled to come on the list and be available around the end of January 2015 give or take.

Bridgestone Aust must have changed their tune as a few months ago they did not expect their retailers to be carrying such a low volume tire. With tire rack out of the US are you sure they will ship Bridgestone as in September I was advised their agreement with the company does not allow them to ship Bridgestone out of US.

Also what insurer are you with. I have enquired with BMW insurance and late this week they claim they will come back to me with some rating for car. Will see.

Cheers Gazza

I spoke with someone in the dealer support area at Bridgestone head office here in SA. Seemed to have his finger on the pulse but also said I could not take late january as gospel. In any case, it seems clear that Bridgestone dealers will have access to local stock next year.

Have not heard that tirerack won't ship Bridgestone to Australia but it is a couple of years since my last order. I have mainly bought Dunlop (Direzza Sport Star Spec Z1) so it is possible they may be restricted. If that is the case then there are other tire sellers or freight forwarders that would get around the problem. I'll wait to hear the local prices before I bother though.

I'm with Shannons. Don't have a rating for the car (didn't ask) but now have a quote. If you want the details, send me a PM.

Back