Any update to Top Gear's assertion on i3 sales?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecoangel

"Why isn’t BMW’s i3 selling?"

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show/why-isn%E2%80%99t-bmw%E2%80%99s-i3-selling

ecoangel said:

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show/why-isn%E2%80%99t-bmw%E2%80%99s-i3-selling

I believe in the US it was starting to match Leaf in Feb, but looks like the numbers are collapsing a bit:

http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

I believe part of it is that in usage terms the non Rex doesn't offer more range or functionality than the Leaf at a significant premium (and Leafs can be had for very cheap used or by lease). As for UK sales in London there really isn't a great deal of charging infrastructure and most people don't have garages. So I would think BEVs as a whole aren't doing that well.

ecoangel said:

From a UK perspective I am sure this Top Gear report is very much out of date. Sales here up to the start of 2015 were stifled by a low allocation for the UK market - I was quoted 6 months delivery when I ordered last November and it was longer for the early adopters. This long delivery lead time no doubt prevented the i3 from being added to company car lists further restricting demand. In this market i cars are only sold through a select group of BMW dealers who in effect act as agents for BMW UK. There is no dealer or importer inventory and demonstrator and used car sales appear to have been very tightly restricted by BMW - presumably to maintain long term residual values. This has created the beneficial effect of ensuring that leasing rates (and final option price) are now lower than for a reasonably spec'd 3 series.

The Top Gear report was written in early March which is the best car sales month in the UK as it marks the start of the new registration plate year (improving residuals) and follows the quiet winter months which is nor the best time to take delivery of an EV. BMW have reported sales of i models up 65% for the first 6 months of the year although demand in individual countries does seem influenced by local tax incentives. Anecdotal evidence from chatter on Facebook's i3 UK Group forum suggests that there was a huge number of registrations in March and remains high now that BMW is at last able to bring waiting down time. The situation may be different in the US but BMW has now had time to allocate supply closer to demand and thus maximize profitability by having to avoid any distress selling. Their tight control over the UK market means that there are absolutely no negotiation on the full manufacturers selling price thus making the car even more desirable. We are also continuing to benefit from a Govt grant to meet the cost of home charging units. I don't think that you would find anyone to argue that the i3 is becoming a huge success in the UK - even if it appears to be a bit of a disappointment of late over the other side of the pond.

I was hoping for a report from James May who said about a year ago that he had ordered an i3. Unfortunately all we have been hearing about is his new Ferrari 458 - apparently his will be the last off the line. Once the motoring press have done their initial road tests and perhaps reported on a press car that they have been given for a few months things usually go very quiet which is what has happened with the i3. Anecdotal evidence from members joining the UK i3 Facebook page and other forums and visual sitings does seem to suggest i3 sales in the UK are growing quite healthily. BMW apparently offering attractive leasing rates that are persuading company car drivers out of their 320ds.

S3RDP said:
I was hoping for a report from James May who said about a year ago that he had ordered an i3. Unfortunately all we have been hearing about is his new Ferrari 458 - apparently his will be the last off the line. Once the motoring press have done their initial road tests and perhaps reported on a press car that they have been given for a few months things usually go very quiet which is what has happened with the i3. Anecdotal evidence from members joining the UK i3 Facebook page and other forums and visual sitings does seem to suggest i3 sales in the UK are growing quite healthily. BMW apparently offering attractive leasing rates that are persuading company car drivers out of their 320ds.

This is COMPLETELY anecdotal, so please take it as such. In one area of London I saw one i3 last year. Now in the same area I have seen 3 different ones. I see more around town. This isn't really scientific but there are visibly more now than just a few months ago. Unlike in the US I can't seem to find monthly EV sales tracking numbers.

Again anecdotal, but a year ago (well, 11 months) I felt I was the only i3 in town, and now I can anticipate at least one sighting a day. But then San Francisco - Palo Alto has long been an outlier.

Back