Any Virginia fast charger news?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom10422

Saw the Maryland post, any news for Virginia? Still think someone should work with VA to put them in the rest stops along the interstate roads.

There's a CCS station in Charlottesville, according to plugshare. It's about 125 miles away from my home in Maryland, so that'd be quite an adventure this frigid time of year. There are no CCS stations in Maryland, at least as of today.

70188.jpg

Yes! And don't you love that it's located at Mac's Service Center? (Right out of Central Casting? :D )

In five or 10 years, these DC combo stations will be as common as diesel stations, all across the U.S. I mean, a boy can dream, right?

Be nice if an i3 was in that photo instead. I guess I dream bigger - hoping that there would be more before my three year lease is up on the i3.

After seeing three Teslas in Barstow CA during a business trip, be nice to go farther with the i3 on electric only.

Can someone who's local verify that the unit above is actually a CCS unit? They're often listed incorrectly on Plugshare.

Well, I am not local, but I found their Facebook page and it is a SIGNET FC50K-CC charger and the FB page shows it has both CHaDEMO and CCS.

i3atl said:
Can someone who's local verify that the unit above is actually a CCS unit? They're often listed incorrectly on Plugshare.
It's there but won't be fully ready until next week, according to an EV pal.

Makes me :D that, today, there are more CCS locations in Virginia than Maryland.

tom10422 said:
Well, I am not local, but I found their Facebook page and it is a SIGNET FC50K-CC charger and the FB page shows it has both CHaDEMO and CCS.

Thanks - here's the link for anyone else who's interested: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.798418193540601.1073741839.156171597765267&type=1

I just saw on PlugShare that the CCS cable might not be active at Mac's. I did contact Greenlots about all their CHaDemo chargers and getting them to upgrade to dual and their replay that many are already dual, the CCS is just not active. Hopefully Mac's is not one of those.

What it takes to make a unit CHADEMO and CCS compatible is an interface board that can talk each protocol, and an appropriate cord and plug. They can use the same power supply, if it was designed properly, but most of them are an either/or since it is the car that tells it to adjust the voltage, and with one power supply, you can't be feeding two different types of cars, or even two cars unless it is designed with multiple power supplies. These are a LOT more expensive than essentially just switching the ac power when using level 1 or level 2 where the power supply is in the car - the CCS units bypass the car's power supply and essentially, recharge the car directly.

tom10422 said:
I just saw on PlugShare that the CCS cable might not be active at Mac's. I did contact Greenlots about all their CHaDemo chargers and getting them to upgrade to dual and their replay that many are already dual, the CCS is just not active. Hopefully Mac's is not one of those.

According to Greenlots, Mac's is one of those.

Latest posts

Back