Anyone use the BMW i Flexible Mobility program?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmoy2002

I am having trouble locating dealerships that participate in the program and when I do call dealerships that "participate" they seem to have almost zero knowledge of the program and deny it's existence.

While there may be some changes at a later date, as it is now Flexible Mobility is BMW Vaporware. The terms of the contract with BMWUSA are reported to be so onerous that few dealers have chosen to participate.

My dealership honors the agreement if you purchased/leased the car from them, but does it out of their own advertising budget.

Strangely, it seemed separate from the body shop loaner cars.

FWIW, BMWUSA's 'rules' for dealer reimbursement require the loaner cars to be dedicated to the i3 program. They also include some fairly optimistic requirements for the number of days any car is in use each month if they are going to pay the dealer for it. That last item is probably the main reason why many dealers haven't signed up. Since that sort of thing is both seasonal and somewhat unpredictable, the dealer doesn't want lots of cars sitting around unused, nor to not have one when someone wants it. As a dealership sells more i3 vehicles, the demand may grow enough to help things become more stable, and more dealers will take up the program. If the vehicles are out with customers enough, BMW foots the bill, otherwise, the dealer does. Knowing which models the i3 owner might want or need to borrow also can complicate things.

jadnashuanh said:
FWIW, BMWUSA's 'rules' for dealer reimbursement require the loaner cars to be dedicated to the i3 program. They also include some fairly optimistic requirements for the number of days any car is in use each month if they are going to pay the dealer for it. That last item is probably the main reason why many dealers haven't signed up. Since that sort of thing is both seasonal and somewhat unpredictable, the dealer doesn't want lots of cars sitting around unused, nor to not have one when someone wants it. As a dealership sells more i3 vehicles, the demand may grow enough to help things become more stable, and more dealers will take up the program. If the vehicles are out with customers enough, BMW foots the bill, otherwise, the dealer does. Knowing which models the i3 owner might want or need to borrow also can complicate things.

We have a second car. I think I would want a reliable loaner program and real access to DC fast charging before the i3 could be our only car.

From the way the Flexible Mobility Program has been recieved by the Dealers it looks like BMW failed to poll them before making the announcement. Or if they did, I'll bet that all the requirements and restrictions were not fully disclosed. How else would something that once seemed to be so integral to their marketing plan fail so quickly?
While not a deal-maker for our decision, Flexible Mobility was a factor in the overall appeal of the i3 and made us feel that the i3 had a usefulness beyond that of a typical EV or Plug-in Hybrid.

Back