Are Extended Maintenance Plans Worthwhile for I3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelerFan

I just purchased a 2014 I3 BEV with 8,200 mi, which was put into service on 11/1/14. The car had been purchased by the prior owner thru the CPO program, which extended the limited warranty until 11/1/20 or 100K mi. The maintenance plan is only valid thru 11/1/18. I called a dealer and learned that maintenance plan extensions were: 1 Y, 25K $975; 2 Y, 50K $1,895; 3 Y, 75K $2,633.
I know that no one has long term experience with this model and any advice is speculative and extrapolated from other BMW models. I previously owned a 328i and it was never less than $500 for a visit to the shop. There was always something breaking like power door locks, power windows, break pads wearing out, etc. It drove great but was expensive to maintain. I tend to hang onto cars for at least 10 years. If BMWNA offers the battery replacement, I would probably opt for that if and when the 120-125 Amp batteries are available in a few years.
Any advice or recommendation about extending the free maintenance plans for this model?
Further web searching yielded the following:
Only the following maintenance items are included with BMW Ultimate Care when they are performed as outlined in the vehicle's Maintenance booklet:
XEngine Oil
XEngine Filter
Brake Fluid
Cabin Micro Filter(s)
XEngine Air Filter(s)
XSpark Plugs
Remote Control/Key Battery
Vehicle Check
XFuel Filter (Diesel engines only)
For those with a lot of milage, how often do you need coolant fluid refills and tire allignment. Are there any other items covered under maintenance for the I3?
How often is a vehicle check required and how much does it cost without a maintenance plan?
Thanks

The oil and filter have to be replaced once a year and you don't have to go to a dealer to do it. I own BMW motorcycles, and oil changes are so easy I do them myself. It is considered a good practice to flush the brakes once every 2 years, but most people change less often with no adverse effects. The cabin filter and remote battery are owner replaceable with a minimal effort. If you will drive mostly on electricity, the spark plugs and the air filter will outlast the car. Ditto for the brake pads. The fuel filter is not a wear item.
The bottom line- i3 needs very little regular maintenance. If the plan priced similar to the ICE car- you will be wasting your money.

You don't indicate whether your i3 is a BEV or REx. If BEV, there's very little maintenance because there's no internal combustion engine (ICE). Even if yours is a REx, as was pointed out, the REx engine runs much less than the ICE in a regular BMW, and being only 2 cylinders, there are fewer, lower amounts, and smaller sizes of consumables, so the scheduled maintenance should not cost nearly as much as a regular BMW. Because of this, the maintenance plan extension costs seem very high.

The only regular maintenance required on the BEV you have is brake fluid replacement/flush and air filter for the cabin. Everything else is just check. The brakes should last a very long time given the regen does most of it. Now, whether any of the electronics will fail, it's possible, but not a big issue once infant mortality period is over. IF they do, though, they're expensive to replace. While an extended warranty is likely useful for an ICE, I'm not convinced it is for the i3 BEV. The battery warranty is 8-years, 100K miles. You may need to replace the 12vdc battery, but that isn't a huge deal.

Back