Auto Stop Go malfunctions if facing direct sun?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MFNATIK

I've been driving along facing west into the sunset a few times now and each time in this situation, the car disengages the auto cruise control and says clean the sensor or system malfunction. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm guessing the sunset is blinding the cameras?

Yes. If the sun is that low either drive it yourself or wait for the sun to go down Disappointing but I'd still rather have the system as it works most of the time.

OK, just making sure its "normal". I love this feature and wish my M3 had it. Oh well. I fell the wife that this is the future. Soon we can sit back, relax, or go to sleep ha-ha. It works great for traffic and helps reduce the stress and annoyance of driving on socal freeways.

Think of it this way...its using a camera...you looking directly into the sun, you'd have problems seeing and identifying things as well. TO be on the safe side, it disengages. You can still use it as a 'normal' cruise control, though, if you turn off the adaptive part as described in the user's manual.

Back