Battery Warranty - Claims, real SOH?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoob915

Hi All,

I've been in the market for EV for some time but still hold some concerns over the battery warranty, are they really prepared to shell out to replace it and more to the point how do they really check and manage this?

1) I wonder if anyone has had any experiences with having to claim on the 8year/100 mile 70% capacity battery warranty? or know of any cases? It would be interesting how BMW deal with this, check this etc.

2) I have heard they deal with the SOH (state of health) of the battery? As I understand this is the 'real' capacity of the battery pack after any reserve they have calcualted in (think this is 20% on the i3). Can anyone shed more light on this?

Cheers,
Michael :)

scoob915 said:
Hi All,

I've been in the market for EV for some time but still hold some concerns over the battery warranty, are they really prepared to shell out to replace it and more to the point how do they really check and manage this?

1) I wonder if anyone has had any experiences with having to claim on the 8year/100 mile 70% capacity battery warranty? or know of any cases? It would be interesting how BMW deal with this, check this etc.

2) I have heard they deal with the SOH (state of health) of the battery? As I understand this is the 'real' capacity of the battery pack after any reserve they have calcualted in (think this is 20% on the i3). Can anyone shed more light on this?

Cheers,
Michael :)

I think it is a little too early to tell what will happen, but I do know that Toyota has a 0.3% , yes that is 3/10% failure rate on all the Prius cars ever sold, and Honda has 10 times that failure rate at 3%.

I know in some cases other car companies replace bad cells sometimes and not the whole battery, so I would assume it will be the same with BMW and it will probably depend on what is actually wrong with the battery pack on an individual basis. A warranty is a warranty and if BMW doesn't live up to the terms of the warranty then it becomes a legal issue and in the USA anyway there is a lemon law which would apply too, I would suspect.

Cheers mindmachine and MikeS for the replies. The failure you mention is extreamly low, I wonder what the white coats at BMW expect!? ...I suspect they may also have a deal with their cell provider to also protect them in case of a warranty claim!? does anyone know if this is the case and who provides the cells?

Back