BMW Debuts New, All-Electric BMW i3 Commercial...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good commercial is one you both remember and talk about...it doesn't have to be 'good' in the story sense. The sales of EVs verses conventional cars is a VERY small percentage of overall, so anything you do to help people think about them and potentially accept them as a viable alternative is worthwhile.

If all the i3 pedants loved the commercial, KBS (the agency) would have failed. That most of the geeks hate it makes me think it will go over very well with the Aunt Janes of the general public. Should be a shoe-in for a Top 10 commercial of the night, and maybe even Top 5.

For some behind-the-scenes information about the making of this ad, watch this video. Pardon me if this has already been posted, but I haven't found it in this forum.

And the winner is - well you decide
seems that the Superbowl car Ads are more important than the game here's a link so you can judge for yourself http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/85444/best-car-ads-super-bowl-2014

Did I imagine Bryant Gumbel in the i3 ad say something like "There's nothing under the Hood", seems an odd thing to script for a Premium sporting BMW? or is this lost on me in translation ;)

Ps enjoy the Superbowl whoever wins the game or ad contest.

PluviaPlumbum said:
Did I imagine Bryant Gumbel in the i3 ad say something like "There's nothing under the Hood", seems an odd thing to script for a Premium sporting BMW? or is this lost on me in translation ;)
You probably know this, but the translation would be, "There's nothing under the bonnet."

Few Americans are familiar with a car that doesn't have a hot, smelly ICE under the hood, so the fact that the i3 has nothing like that under the hood is just another way that the i3 isn't your typical car and may represent the future.

I thought Gumble was referring to the widely held belief that he is an empty suit, a talking head that gets large amounts of money to repeat the words he hears in his earpiece while on camera. "Nothing under the hood" is simply a metaphor and perhaps the only recorded proof that he ever demonstrated any self-knowledge......... ;)

8m views and counting. That's a lot of people who now know about BMW's first EV, wind turbines and CFP. Even if just 0.25% of those book a test drive, it would have been a remarkable achievement.

'Kay I see where this might mislead a Brit, I was thinking it might be mistaken as a metaphor for "there's not much power under the Hood/Bonnet"

I can only marvel at the amount of web traffic the advert has generated on U Tube, unless Facebook's Auto play is driving the numbers somehow??? As with any marketing tool, TV is a fairly blunt instrument and its the conversion rate that really matters.

Personally I liked the Kia Advert with Pierce Brosnan which also took a swipe at himself.

Latest posts

Back