BMW i3 reliability - better info

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WoodlandHills said:
It's great that you got a good one, but not everyone did....

FWIW, I've got a courtesy i3 REx at the moment (Sep 15-Mar 16 model) with just under 4k miles on the clock. The car is almost identical to my March 15 model. In comparison, steering is just a tad tighter, but that could be the difference in mileage between mine and this one (about 14k miles difference). Also, the car seems to be a tiny bit quieter, despite being the same trim level as mine.

With every model there's variation from car to car. Some that require no repairs, and some that require many repairs. But the odds of each extreme vary by model. When the sample sizes are sufficient--more data are needed than for the average--we report these odds.

We especially need more 2016s signed up.

www.truedelta.com/join

We've updated our reliability stats for the i3 to include owner experiences through March 31, 2016, making them nearly a year ahead of other sources.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2014-2015 i3: 60, high

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2014-2015 i3: 44, 3

One charging module repairs are over a year in the past, the repair frequency will decline (unless another equally common problem pops up). We need more participants to also cover the 2016.

Thank you, once again, everyone who has been helping. Next update in August.

For a deeper dive, including the stats for other cars and repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information:

BMW i3 reliability ratings and comparisons

We've updated our reliability stats for the i3 to include owner experiences through June 30, 2016. Reliability information elsewhere is based on a survey conducted in April 2015--well over a year ago. Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2015 i3: 63, high

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2015 i3: 43, 5

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information--we especially need 2016s and up:

We've updated our reliability stats for the i3 to include owner experiences through September 30, 2016.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2014-2015 i3: 59, high

2014-2015 i3: 49, < 1

Additional participants always helpful, especially for the 2016 and up.

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Latest posts

Back