BMW i3 to be considered for ANCAP rating

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Houdini

I juts read that the BMW i3 will be considered for an ANCAP test. This means there's a chance it will get 5 stars instead of the Euro NCAP of 4 stars. The Australian version will have the auto braking as standard I believe which may get it 5 stars. This will be great as most Company leasing policies (including mine) won't allow purchases of less than 5 star rated cars.

I probably mis-named the auto braking :)

This is it:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/i/i3/2013/showroom/safety.html#driverassistance

"And the city collision warning with braking function feature for pedestrians helps to prevent accidents from occurring with pedestrians and minimises the risk of passenger injury in an emergency. "

Apparently with this it might get 5 stars and so that's why they might re-test here as it's our standard fitment model.

I found an article here:
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/crash-test-shocks-for-bmw-ford-and-volkswagen-20131128-2yboh.html

ANCAP chief executive officer Nicholas Clarke told Drive that both the i3 and EcoSport will be considered for a local assessment, which may alter their respective star ratings.

Driving assistant plus is listed as an option on the Aussie price list :(
Thanks to I33t for pointing this out. BMW public relations/marketing as full of %@#t. If it's an option it's the same as overseas therefore it's a 4 star only car.

Houdini said:
Driving assistant plus is listed as an option on the Aussie price list :(
Thanks to I33t for pointing this out. BMW public relations/marketing as full of %@#t. If it's an option it's the same as overseas therefore it's a 4 star only car.
I believe that the system that might qualify for a 5 star is called Intelligent Safety. I don't think it is an option as Driving Assist is.

There are 2 different things so I do not think that it is marketing hype.

It's described on page 92 of the English language manual and is distinct from the Driving Assist but uses some of the same hardware/camera. When I placed my order I did not see this as an option code nor was it part of the Driver Assist option description. I could be wrong but I think there are 2 different things being discussed.

BMW i3 Owners Handbook. pp93 said:
Forward alert with city braking function
BMW i3 Owners Handbook. pp95 said:
Person warning with city braking function

Don't lose hope it's a great car.

Back