BMW iCharging station install price.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastmacuser

I just received my quote from bosch regarding install. $2900. $550 of that is permit fees. Nothing you do about that but $2,350 in labor and materials? Electrical contractor said it would be done 4-5 hours. Anyone getting any different numbers?

I used a local electrical contractor and believe I paid around $1,500 - $1,800 which included running a 40 AMP circuit from the electrical panel at the back of the house, into the attic, across the house, and down to the front of the garage, and then installing the charger (which is NOT the BMW charger).

Without knowing where you are, it's hard to say, as well as how far they have to run the wires to make the connection. That could include making a lot of holes in the walls and ceiling, and patching and painting when they are done. I'm surprised at the high permit fee, but again, not knowing where you are, that may be 'normal'.

The installer didn't have to run very far to make my connection - essentially across my garage to the other wall, maybe 20' total. I had him do some additional work while he was there, and even with that, it only came to $800 or so, maybe 1/2 of that was for the actual EVSE install. Unless you're getting a good local rebate or really love the look of the BMW EVSE, it isn't anything super special...many others are available for about 1/2 the price for the actual device (the installation would likely be the same).

I knew I forgot something. I am located in Northern California. Hence the high permit price. Install will run from garage sub panel, out through that back wall in EMT, and around the side of the garage to wall next to garage door. 50 feet in total. Quote says 40 amp breaker installed. Two #8's, and one #10. Install EVSE.

Seems really high to me, but CA installation rates are probably high. I had mine installed by a licensed electrician (without a permit) for $780. Included the new 40 amp breaker, > 120 ft. of wiring run from box up the side of house (in new conduit) to attic, through the attic to the garage, shut off in front of EVSE and hooking up EVSE. 3-person team had it all done in about 1.5 hours start to finish, so 4.5 hours total labor (I was just quoted a single price, not broken out).

That seems excessively high. There is absolutely nothing special about running that type of circuit that requires anyone special other than that they must hold an electrical license. I'd call around and get a quote from a local electrician. Almost sounds like they're a specialty group and you're paying for lodging and travel from their home base somewhere. Also, I'd call the city/town, or whomever you get your building permits from and see what the price is to add a circuit to a panel. Now, if they must upgrade the panel to support the additional load, that could add up quite a bit, but not if it's simply adding one to an existing panel. It almost sounds like you're paying for a crew of 3 to sit around for hours waiting on the inspector to arrive. Personally, I'd see if they'd take half when done, and the rest contingent on it passing inspection. You'd have to really mess up to make this fail an inspection. WHen I had mine done, I paid the guy, and the inspector came out maybe the next day, but there wasn't as much money at stake. At Home Depot (not where the installers probably would buy their wire), 8g is $0.59/foot, 10g is cheaper. EMT is cheap. A 40A breaker should come in at less than $40. Throw in some hangers and fittings, materials costs aren't really all that much. Screwing the thing to the wall is nothing...at least some of them come with bolts, and if they don't, that's less than $5 easily.

Now, there could be issues that we can't see, but I would be surprised if someone local can't do this and for a lot less money. Three wires at each end, and once the wire is run, maybe an hour to finish up mounting and connecting everything. A master electrican and, if he needs a helper (mine didn't) is probably in the order of $150/hour, maybe $500 in materials, and give them maybe 3-hours. That's a wag without being there and seeing exactly what's needed. THe EVSE would be extra (I bought mine rather than having it supplied).

Most electricians in my area subscribe to a national service that specifies how much to charge for services performed. I think it's BS, but that's how they work. In my case, he only had to punch through a garage wall to provide 240vac, but I was charged this "standard" charge for the EVSE install. I mounted the hardware myself!

The only good thing about that is that you know beforehand what it will cost. On a simple install, a time and materials contract has the potential of getting a lower price (or a higher one!). The issue becomes if they run into problems, on a fixed price contract, you're protected. If the guy is interested in getting onto the next job, a time and materials contract may turn a 3-hour book project into an hour-long one. Sometimes, a small, independent can provide a more economical installation. It's a tough call without knowing the local market and participants.

I live in Cincinnati. Called a private contractor who ran a 40 amp line from my main box in the basement, drilled a hole in the concrete and ran it to the garage. Wired it to the circuit breaker and installed a separate breaker for the outlet. He then hung the charging box i bought off Amazon, confirmed it worked, and left. Total cost $450.00

So, check out a private contractor.

GE Charging station... $549.00

total cost... about one grand and the charge is plugged into the wall, not hard wired. So it can be moved.

If that unit is a 32 or 30A EVSE, running a 40A circuit WITH A PLUG, would not pass a building inspection if the inspector is following the rules. There are no 40A rated plugs, so you must put in a 50A one, with associated wiring and breaker (i.e., a 50A circuit with at least 6g wire). A 40A circuit is fine and to code on a 30/32A EVSE (in the USA, anyways) when HARDWIRED only.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I thought it sounded way too high. I contacted a couple of local electricians with EVSE experience and quotes were way lower. I will post final numbers when I get it installed. THanks for saving me money!!!

Back