BMW is developing infrared heating for Electric Vehicles

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwi3

Last week, BMW announced that it was working on an infrared heating system for electric vehicles. The system would cut energy use a considerable amount compared to traditional system and would extend the range of the battery in BMW's plug-in and hybrid electric vehicles. BMW estimates it could extend the electric range by as much as 30%.

Panels in the doors and under the dash would heat the passengers and their feet silently. The system can deliver cabin heat in about 1 minute and would have no need for a fan or for air vents.

The idea was announced at Innovation Day.

bmw-infrared.jpg

BMW4LIFE said:
Infrared on BMW electric cars?! What will you come up with next BMW- impressive technology!

Yes, Very cool stuff and extremely energy efficient which is paramount in an EV. I hope we see this soon

Infrared heating system for Bmw electronic cars sounds really interesting and innovative. If it helps cutting energy uses for BMW electric vehicles then that'a a huge news.

BMW is taking technology uses in cars into a new level through BMW i3 and other BMW electric cars and BMW electric vehicles.

Back