BMW Remote App Logging Out

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASUN

Hello,

Been using the BMW Remote app since Oct 2015. I do get logged out and requires logging in from time to time. It seems to occur more frequently for the past few days. Anyone experiencing the same or any advice to fix this?

I contact BMW just now, they said it may just be the app's problem or my phone's (iPhone 6S) connectivity. Suggested I bring the phone to the nearby BMW dealer to be looked at.

Thanks.

It seems to be a cyclical event. I had times last year where the app would log me out daily and I've had stretches where the app doesn't logout for months. Used an iPhone 6 for most of the year; switched to the 6s in November. Out of curiosity, what would a BMW dealership do with the phone?

The system will log you out if you don't check the app after a certain period of time. I discovered it last year when I returned from a two week Europe trip. Otherwise the log outs seem random and often triggered by an app update or something on the server side. Of course, BMW will never admit there's a server issue. I think it's an IT universal truth to always blame the client device.

I used to have this almost weekly but not in a while actually. Maybe they fixed it. It was not just a logging issue for me but actually a hard reset where I had to reconfigure parts of the app (such as pincode).

The fact that this hasn't been fixed yet is a disgrace. I reported this to BMW i UK and raised tickets for it. They're not interested, apart form the usual "of course we care for you, Sir." Teflon nonsense.

Fact is, the app has a problem with 3G and 4G roaming and ends the session randomly. I don't get the problem when I'm at home with Wifi, but more often when switching between Wifi and data networks. It only occurs on iOS, by the way. All Android users, now is the time to be smug.

You can upgrade your Apple phone as often as you like. The problem does not go away.

Since my initial post, I have not experienced another log out.

Perhaps it was a server issue during that time.

*fingers crossed*

For me it happens every couple of weeks/months. Sometimes a times/days in a row.

I've just accepted that BMWs remote stuff is mildly half arsed.

ASUN said:
*fingers crossed*

Sorry to be blunt, but no crossed fingers help here. The problem is intermittent and most likely related to 3G/4G data roaming when leaving a WiFi network. I happen to get the problem more frequently whenever I have spent a day travelling to/from work. No problems seem to occur when I spent a day working from home, using WiFi.

Schnort said:
For me it happens every couple of weeks/months. Sometimes a times/days in a row.

I've just accepted that BMWs remote stuff is mildly half arsed.

I have to agree here. The app is also poorly designed from a user experience perspective. I remember that even after 6 months I still found hidden "features" of it. The mandatory amalgamation of departure time and off-peak charging is still a mystery to me.

Back