Body Parts Replacement

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonxxi

Hi everyone.

I just got a nasty scratch on my i3 Right Rear Wing.
As expected BMW and other body shops estimated that to $2K ballpark.
But looking at the bmw videos about i3 the CFRP parts should be easily switchable and the real cost of a new wing is less than $400.
Is it really worth repairing it (repainting) vs replacing the piece?

Has anyone tried to buy part and replace or is it really not worthy and $2K is a right price for such a thing?
Also do those parts come pre painted or the paint job is still to be performed?

We had a crunch in the rear end a while back, and the rear bumper panel was replaced. It didn't come prepainted in body colour.

The body panels do not come with a finish coat on them (a possible exception may be those that are always black, regardless of the rest of the body color).

There might be a flexible filler that could be used on the panels to fill a scratch, then a repaint...don't know. FWIW, the paint is not inexpensive.

eBay has right rear panels for less than $150 bucks right now in a number of colors.

The good thing about our cars is that you can screw in new panels if you mess one up, like unfortunately has happened to your car.

Cheers,
Nick

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=bmw+i3+right+rear&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xbmw+i3+right+rear+panel.TRS1&_nkw=bmw+i3+right+rear+panel&_sacat=0

After another view, it looks like $299 for an undamaged body panel. Still a good price if it matches your car.

Back