BWM Issues Software update?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHi3REx

Has anyone else heard about this?

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/12/bmw-i3-with-range-extender-glitch-software-update/

It appears they are actually going to give us a battery percentage indicator :roll: , but simply giving the REx user a "warning" when the battery reached 2% of potential power loss seams absurd. Even if CARB regulations prevents us from getting the REx enabling feature at 75% battery, can't we at least get some additional buffer? Being able to turn on the REx at 25% would be far safer fi not even as low at 10%.

There's a lengthy discussion about it in the FB i3 group page. If you're not a member, I highly recommend joining for good knowledge and tips.

Sparky said:
I'm not on FB but I'd like to know if anyone has experienced the new update and can comment on the Rex hold improvement.
There is no improvement. it was pushed back to the next update. All that current one does is to display the warning when you're down to 2%.

Thanks, so if I understand correctly, the software that increases the hold limit and utilizes topography to start the Rex, and also displays battery charge percentage has been put off until some future software update? I guess there is no projected date for this change.

Sparky said:
Thanks, so if I understand correctly, the software that increases the hold limit and utilizes topography to start the Rex, and also displays battery charge percentage has been put off until some future software update? I guess there is no projected date for this change.
The SOC display is there right now, just no change to hold limit algorithm.

Tomasz, what is the benefit of the soc vs the guessometer? What I'm trying to assess is how important future updates are before I do the dvdinmotion mod. I want to avoid having to do it twice if BMW steps on the code. I'm also waiting for their pending gas tank change.

Sparky said:
Tomasz, what is the benefit of the soc vs the guessometer? What I'm trying to assess is how important future updates are before I do the dvdinmotion mod. I want to avoid having to do it twice if BMW steps on the code. I'm also waiting for their pending gas tank change.
I'm one of the very few that actually prefer guessometer. The range depends on so many different factors than just SOC %. And i3 seems to be much more accurate than Leaf. And you have 'quasi' SOC % display on the instrument cluster anyway (4 blocks of 25%, you can pretty much get the SOC down to 5%). I don't need SOC display on the cluster, so I'm not going for the update.

The BEV does not make the % visible (except in a service menu), the REx currently does (so I've been told). After the change, you can view the % on either version...it does not replace the bars, but is in addition to them. Personally, I don't see the big deal, but since it's software, and some do, I don't have any issue with them providing it because asked.

Back