Charge every night, yes or no?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vne

Let's say I leave home fully charged, but just need about 30km (about 20miles) a day. I know already, that the next day I need again 30km only. Should I charge after every day, or just every other day?
From what I read it's better for a battery if it's not let in a fully charged state for long.

Vne said:
Let's say I leave home fully charged, but just need about 30km (about 20miles) a day. I know already, that the next day I need again 30km only. Should I charge after every day, or just every other day?
From what I read it's better for a battery if it's not let in a fully charged state for long.

You don't want to keep your battery full or even above half if you don't need it soon. I charge when I drop to around 30 % to 40% SOC depending on how much I will be needing within the next day. Batteries are most comfortable at around 50% SOC when they are not being used over any period of time, charging to full and leaving them set for extended periods of time is not good for them.

I use mine for errands around town and we charge whenever the REx comes on. The battery is our fuel tank and the REx noise is our reserve light. We put from 5 to 20 miles a day and get 60ish miles per charge, so we plugin a couple times a week.

The batteries in the i3 are designed for a car environment, heated and cooled as required, and not the same as a typical cellphone or other consumer appliance. The charging logic does not let the batteries fully charge or discharge, so when it says 100%, it's not really 100% fully charged and the same for zero. THen, you have a fairly decent warranty on the batteries.

Until these get more time on them, there will not be a real answer, but BMW is pretty confident that they'll last evidenced by the warranty they provide on the battery's ability to hold a charge - a minimum of 70% through 8-years or 100,000-miles, or it will be replaced free under warranty.

The EVSE doesn't stay on acting like a trickle charger once the car detects it's full, and the car doesn't turn it back on again until the charge has dropped a moderate amount. Personally, I'm not worried about leaving it plugged in until proven otherwise that it's bad, and then, if it does before 8-years, I'd get new batteries with likely better tech for free. Longer than that, you might want to swap them anyways to get longer range based on newer tech.

Back