ChargeNow across borders in Europe?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psquare

Ok, I'm trying to wear down the clock, waiting for my REx to arrive by planning imaginary trips from the UK to mainland Europe. My i3 is also ordered with the DC fast charge option.

In terms of public charging networks, my plan is to sign up with Ecotricity and Chargemaster (a 6-month taster is included in the package for my home charging unit). Chargemaster is also operating the ChargeNow network.

In Germany, BMW dealers also offer a variant of the ChargeNow card and network. Does anybody know about agreements, etc when trying to use ChargeNow networks abroad? My impression is that these are entirely separate networks (it certainly states on the UK ChargeNow site that it gives access to the 'nationwide network').

Has anyone on here tried to charge and travel to mainland Europe in an i3? And what were your experiences re charging stations?

I'd be interested to know.

P

As best I know there is no reciprocal agreements in place between any charge providers, save for Ecotricity, Plugged-in Midlands, Source East and Source London - and it doesn't always work...

ChargeNow is just a generic brand I think BMW own and license out in an attempt to make it easier.

The following might be helpful - http://myrenaultzoe.com/index.php/2014/07/travelling-internationally-with-the-zoe-part-1/ but it is the opposite way EU into UK.

psquare said:
Ok, I'm trying to wear down the clock, waiting for my REx to arrive by planning imaginary trips from the UK to mainland Europe. My i3 is also ordered with the DC fast charge option.

In terms of public charging networks, my plan is to sign up with Ecotricity and Chargemaster (a 6-month taster is included in the package for my home charging unit). Chargemaster is also operating the ChargeNow network.

In Germany, BMW dealers also offer a variant of the ChargeNow card and network. Does anybody know about agreements, etc when trying to use ChargeNow networks abroad? My impression is that these are entirely separate networks (it certainly states on the UK ChargeNow site that it gives access to the 'nationwide network').

Has anyone on here tried to charge and travel to mainland Europe in an i3? And what were your experiences re charging stations?

I'd be interested to know.

P

https://www.chargenow.com/cnww/

It looks so simple... but does ChargeNow having roaming enabled? If you check these countries on your i3's iDrive satnav, it tells you whether each charge point is a BMWi partner. If it really was a partner charge point, it should work for all i3 owners. Only BMW Group can tell us for certain. Maybe roaming is not yet active between ChargeNow countries?

BMW, are you listening?

This is imho country specific. Here in CZ, BMW is generally providing the interface (and one card) to 2 utility companies (ČEZ, PRE), but you have direct agreement with them in the end.

Back