Charging accounts in UK

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very happy to report a successful charge off one of the new SSE triple headed rapid chargers in Hampshire today. I didn't need it but did want to check that all works with these units before committing to one.

Cheers

Bill

EDIT: The SSE units are also the only ones I know of which can serve 2 cars at once if one if the cars is using the rapid ACs. It can't do CCS and Chademo simultaneously.

Excellent, although the one in Ringwood is still offline and has not been connected yet. Keep your eye on the Charge Genie app or website map.

Just noticed that Chargepoint Genie (discussed earlier in this thread) have effectively increased prices by 25%!!

The DC rapids were originally 2 points per minute, just check again and they're now 2.5!

I've literally just put the CCS plug back in its holder at Meadowhall Shopping Centre. I've used it twice today without any issues. It's about 5 mins away from the M1 and the best bit is that no cards are required to use it and the car park is open 24/7.
Why can't all stations be like this?

BoMW said:
I've literally just put the CCS plug back in its holder at Meadowhall Shopping Centre. I've used it twice today without any issues. It's about 5 mins away from the M1 and the best bit is that no cards are required to use it and the car park is open 24/7.
Let's hope it stays that way, I've tried to use it 3 times over the last 4 months and it has always been u/s.

BoMW said:

Used it twice yesterday. Before an after trip to Leeds IKEA where I used the rapid too. All in all a good day in the world of Rapids.....except for the Outlander....oh and the Porsche Cayenne S

sorry this came out way too big.....anyone know how to fix that?

image-jpg.4576

Me with the Outlander. Had 16 minutes and 80%. 4kwh? Anyway it stopped so I jumped on for 15 minutes waiting in vehicle and then restarted the chademo after I finished. I guess as this doesn't need an RFID this could be standard practise when encountering an Outlander? I left cable and vehicle untouched. Seems like it restarted at 80% too so maybe it got too hot?

nowtta60 said:
What's really frustrating is despite the lack of charging infrastructure it appears that certain dealers have been able to apply to get grant funding for "public" charging stations but are restricting access to own brand customers. That's if I'm understanding correctly that http://www.nationalchargepointregistry.com/ contains a list of everyone who got funding. I never saw this site before, but reading through the Grant guidance its a mandatory condition you register the charge point on there, and the data is then available to 3rd parties via webservices, for use in 3rd party app and sat nav applications.

Someone needs to take the dealers to task on this if the case is true. I've got 3 about a 5 minute walk from work but all state "for customer use only". I'm sorry but if these have been funded by tax payers money, I consider myself a customer. Well apart from the electric use... but this is why I think they need to stop making them free, and basically stick a debit card reader in them and charge you for the kWh you download. I think all EV owners would be happier for pay a few quid rather than being told you can't use them.

If everyone knew that you could go to any Renualt/Nissan/BMW/Toyota etc garage and get a top up, the world would be a better place.

It seems you can use them...
I spoke to Chargemaster who run the Chargenow service and they said that if the point appears in idrive as a BMW i partner then you can use it regardless of it being a Renault or Toyota dealer etc. So you can turn up in a BMW and the reversal is also expected in return. I've yet to try it but they were adamant that we're more than welcome because of the free grants and that if we have any issues for us to contact them.

Anyone have first-hand issues with doing this?

Back