Coding Anti-Dazzle and Variable Light Distribution

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE - I finally ended up on a good 30min 2-lane rural road drive in the right conditions to test the lights. Something isn’t right, I got flashed a couple times and it’s not recognizing vehicles I’m following. The lights are definitely doing some of the matrix work like leaving the shoulder high beam on to light all the oncoming signs while recognizing oncoming traffic and turning off some lighting on the driver side, but as I came up behind slower traffic it didn’t seem to notice taillights at all and just blasted full high beams onto them. And out of the maybe 30-40 oncoming cars only two flashed me, so I’m not sure if I was blinding everyone coming towards me or if drivers are just more accepting of bright lights nowadays and don’t bother to flash for fear of getting flashed back or shot at.

I’m going to fire up BimmerCode and have another look at the choices to see if there are any other options that make sense to code. I really don’t want to have to un-code and go back to regular auto-highbeams :(

Last edited:
UPDATE - I finally ended up on a good 30min 2-lane rural road drive in the right conditions to test the lights. Something isn’t right, I got flashed a couple times and it’s not recognizing vehicles I’m following. The lights are definitely doing some of the matrix work like leaving the shoulder high beam on to light all the oncoming signs while recognizing oncoming traffic and turning off some lighting on the driver side, but as I came up behind slower traffic it didn’t seem to notice taillights at all and just blasted full high beams onto them. And out of the maybe 30-40 oncoming cars only two flashed me, so I’m not sure if was blinding everyone coming towards me or if drivers are just more accepting of bright lights nowadays and don’t bother to flash for fear of getting flashed back or shot at.

I’m going to fire up BimmerCode and have another look at the choices to see if there are any other options that make sense to code. I really don’t want to have to un-code and go back to regular auto-highbeams :(
Check your alignment left to right of your low beam lights. I'd suggest looking at the ECE aiming standards. I've been working with mine and currently my car could be described as winking when I'm behind someone but it definitely turns on the full output way too close to a car. Mine has been doing ok with cars to the side though.

Check your alignment left to right of your low beam lights. I'd suggest looking at the ECE aiming standards. I've been working with mine and currently my car could be described as winking when I'm behind someone but it definitely turns on the full output way too close to a car. Mine has been doing ok with cars to the side though.
Left to right alignment is fine, the lights are unmolested and very factory fresh as my car only has 26000kms on it.

There are fairly widespread reports of factory alignment being poor. Mine's a 2021 car with under 14k miles - the driver's side dipped (low) beam alignment is too high. I reported it as a warranty issue, and BMW refused to even look at it, unless I paid. It's not long until mine is due for a statutory roadworthiness check, so I'll get it adjusted properly then.

There are fairly widespread reports of factory alignment being poor. Mine's a 2021 car with under 14k miles - the driver's side dipped (low) beam alignment is too high. I reported it as a warranty issue, and BMW refused to even look at it, unless I paid. It's not long until mine is due for a statutory roadworthiness check, so I'll get it adjusted properly then.
Mine have been fine since new, alignment looks great, on low beam I’ve never been flashed, other than when cresting a small rise and the oncoming car doesn’t realize the road undulates.

UPDATE - I finally ended up on a good 30min 2-lane rural road drive in the right conditions to test the lights. Something isn’t right, I got flashed a couple times and it’s not recognizing vehicles I’m following. The lights are definitely doing some of the matrix work like leaving the shoulder high beam on to light all the oncoming signs while recognizing oncoming traffic and turning off some lighting on the driver side, but as I came up behind slower traffic it didn’t seem to notice taillights at all and just blasted full high beams onto them. And out of the maybe 30-40 oncoming cars only two flashed me, so I’m not sure if was blinding everyone coming towards me or if drivers are just more accepting of bright lights nowadays and don’t bother to flash for fear of getting flashed back or shot at.

Ok so here’s the code I chose to change, it was on I001_disable… i’ll do one at a time and see what makes a difference. What do you suppose GRHB stands for? Glare Reducing High Beam? This code was located two positions down from GFHB (Glare Free High Beam) in the LaMaster 3073 expert coding list.
IMG_1153.png

Last edited:
Ok so here’s the code I chose to change, it was on I001_disable… i’ll do one at a time and see what makes a difference. What do you suppose GRHB stands for? Glare Reducing High Beam? This code was located two positions down from GFHB (Glare Free High Beam) in the LaMaster 3073 expert coding list.
View attachment 717
3073 LaMaster1->C_HBA_ENA: set to I001_enable (0x01)

This is what Alohart posted. This is also the line which I changed. Do you see this line as well? It is located (3) lines above the one you chose with "GRHB"in it.

Attachments

• IMG_0388.PNG
    IMG_0388.PNG
    157.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
3073 LaMaster1->C_HBA_ENA: set to I001_enable (0x01)

This is what Alohart posted. This is also the line which I changed. Do you see this line as well? It is located (3) lines above the one you chose with "GRHB"in it.
Yes I changed those 3 codes from alohart many months ago... thats what i'm saying, I believe those 3 codes are not enough

Yes I changed those 3 codes from alohart many months ago... thats what i'm saying, I believe those 3 codes are not enough
ok got it. sorry for the mis-understanding. Hope you get it figured out. I should have read your post more carefully.

I found this post on an M5 forum https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715500

Coding for 5AP (GFHB - works for LED adaptive lights ONLY):

Front Electronic Module > Expert Mode >

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_ENA > Enable (Both)

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_GRHB_ENA > Highway_Standby_AFS

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA > Enable

Last edited:
EC566DB5-1474-4DDB-A521-D12379A19077.png6E845A88-6C62-4143-8079-1B5408F00E85.png
The snap shots above show the first Enabling I001 and the second "enabling" F015_enable. I didn't make the change, thought I'd wait for you to try it out. :) I live in the City and not many places to test.

Last edited:
ok got it. sorry for the mis-understanding. Hope you get it figured out. I should have read your post more carefully.

I found this post on an M5 forum https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715500

Coding for 5AP (GFHB - works for LED adaptive lights ONLY):

Front Electronic Module > Expert Mode >

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_ENA > Enable (Both)

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_GRHB_ENA > Highway_Standby_AFS

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA > Enable
Well I ventured out onto dark rural roads tonight and did some testing with these codes on top of the original alohart changes. They are definitely doing some matrixing but not enough. I was getting flashed by oncoming cars and blasting highbeams into rear view mirrors of cars ahead of me. So I undid all the coding and went back to North American spec. The HBA went back to operating as designed, shutting off quick for oncoming cars and not activating while following cars until they were way ahead of me.
I did some reading through the M5 thread and this poster (https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30152919&postcount=90) talks about his NA lights having a “mushy” tunnel, and then swapping to ECE lights and getting a sharp and very obvious tunnel cutoff. I feel this is the main problem, the DOT NA light cutoffs are just not sharp enough because NA-spec lights have to have a fuzzier cutoff per regulations than ECE lights. So even if our coding is working correctly we’re still going to be dazzling other drivers.

Next up I’m going to just try the 8S4 codes to enable VLD only… I’m curious to see if our cars will do that at least, might be a bit of an improvement without worrying about dazzling others with 5AP-GFHB. We have a hardware issue, not software.

Last edited:
Well I ventured out onto dark rural roads tonight and did some testing with these codes on top of the original alohart changes. They are definitely doing some matrixing but not enough. I was getting flashed by oncoming cars and blasting highbeams into rear view mirrors of cars ahead of me. So I undid all the coding and went back to North American spec. The HBA went back to operating as designed, shutting off quick for oncoming cars and not activating while following cars until they were way ahead of me.
I did some reading through the M5 thread and this poster (https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30152919&postcount=90) talks about his NA lights having a “mushy” tunnel, and then swapping to ECE lights and getting a sharp and very obvious tunnel cutoff. I feel this is the main problem, the DOT NA light cutoffs are just not sharp enough because NA-spec lights have to have a fuzzier cutoff per regulations than ECE lights. So even if our coding is working correctly we’re still going to be dazzling other drivers.

Next up I’m going to just try the 8S4 codes to enable VLD only… I’m curious to see if our cars will do that at least, might be a bit of an improvement without worrying about dazzling others with 5AP-GFHB.
crap. Now I have to undo mine as well.

Why you are the only one posting about this issue? What happened to the others in this thread who made these change?
I rarely drive on dark-enough roads at high-enough speeds to experience the changed behavior. No one has flashed me, but that doesn't mean that they weren't a bit dazzled.

It makes total sense that the ECE headlights have a sharper top cut-off than the DOT headlights. I'll leave my coding changes in place until other drivers flash me. I'll report back if that happens.

I rarely drive on dark-enough roads at high-enough speeds to experience the changed behavior. No one has flashed me, but that doesn't mean that they weren't a bit dazzled.

It makes total sense that the ECE headlights have a sharper top cut-off than the DOT headlights. I'll leave my coding changes in place until other drivers flash me. I'll report back if that happens.
so after a little bit more digging I do not think we know enough to pull this off. It's been said the 5AP and S84 must be deleted from the Vehicle Order or FA before they can be coded. I have no idea if that is even a factor. It is also being said the front facing camera in the rear view mirror must also be coded which Makes sense but I have not seen any coding lines except for KAFAS which makes my head spin.

There is only one video I found 2 years old for coding VLD using bimmercode which modifies all 5 lines identified. 3-Alohart and the additional 2 I found. But this is for a BMW with Xenon headlights and only Variable Light Distribution. Nothing on Anti Dazzle.

I hope this gets figured out but it seems likely that it takes more than three lines of code to change 5AP and S84 in our cars. In the meantime I'll keep looking

Here's the VLD YouTube video. I don't think this has already been posted.

Lito

Last edited:
Long but lots of info

Starting at 8:07
1.Vehicle Order Coding cannot be done with Bimmercode
2.FDL coding is also required in an ECU or module you are attempting to modify and program
3. 5AP and S84 must be deleted from Vehicle Order/FA file first in order to code them to work, you have to edit and write the modified FA file to the car, code everything and write the new coding to each module.
4.there are multiple modules to code you pick the module and press the code button. This puts the proper sections of coding to the module for you to enable no-glare high beam assistant. There is a coding "cheat sheet" where you pick "no-glare High Beam Assistant"

It's all in the video. I think this is the definitive guide to do this coding. And it requires ESYS, not Bimmercode.

If someone got Esys and modified the VO/FA file you still need to know what modules besides the BDC to code. An for our cars, I have no idea. But here are my guesses:
1.KAFAS - Front facing camera
2.Left Headlight Module - LHM
3.Right Headlight Module - LHM
4,BDC body domain controller instead of FEM

L

Last edited:
Good news - I got some components of Glare Free High Beam working last night - specifically, the high beam LEDs are now operating in brightness stages when coming up behind other cars (ie, they’re dimming to half brightness) and then sometimes fully deactivating for oncoming cars that get closer. They’re not yet using lighting zones (ie, turning on or off individual high beam LEDs) but I’m still hopeful on that one too if I can find the right things to enable.

Has anyone else had some success yet?
I'm calling BS on this post and person. But hey maybe he'll come back on and tell us what modules to code.

So did you leave the above coded? Variable Light Distribution.

Why you are the only one posting about this issue? What happened to the others in this thread who made these change?
I didn't leave VLD coded... I wanted to undo everything and go back for a fresh start.

Because I love nerding out over automotive lighting 🤓

Last edited:
Back