Comfort access / hatch always locks during driving

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericblz

Sadly, didn't realize comfort access does not come in the mega package. I looked again at the build screen and it is not mentioned anywhere as an additional feature on the others until I dig deep into the other pages.

I am wondering if the wiring is already there and I could just replace the drivers door and hatch handles? Unlikely but thought I would ask.

In the meantime, I find it very annoying that the hatch always locks when I drive. I have it set in iDrive to not lock the doors but it locks the hatch anyway! Any help is appreciated. Resolving that would probably quell my desire for comfort access to a great degree.

thanks!

The hatch pretty much opens the same way if the car is locked or unlocked. You just reach under, touch the surface inside the handle and the electromagnetic latch releases.

I'm not exactly understanding what behavior you are looking for or require.

That is what I would expect!

Unfortunately, it is locked after driving the car. I have to hit unlock on the key fob or inside the door. At least if I had the comfort access it would open with the key in my pocket.

I have a software update scheduled for this week, I will check into it again with the dealer but they seemed lost last time I asked.

ericblz said:
That is what I would expect!

Unfortunately, it is locked after driving the car. I have to hit unlock on the key fob or inside the door. At least if I had the comfort access it would open with the key in my pocket.

I have a software update scheduled for this week, I will check into it again with the dealer but they seemed lost last time I asked.

So, you are saying that the switch on the hatch will not work unless you use the fob or button on door pillar first? That is definitely different. On mine, the switch on the hatch always works regardless. Also, I don't have a button on the remote for the hatch, only the frunk (at least I haven't found it!). That however doesn't bother me, as I would still have to pull the hatch up anyway, and the unlock/raise is basically all one motion.

I have the comfort access option.

Now that I think about it, I believe it boils down to comfort access. I've had it for so long on so many cars, that when writing my previous post it didn't even occur to me that on a car without comfort access you could not just release the hatch unless you first unlocked the car.

I really don't think this can be retrofitted, but it's certainly worth asking around or combing the BMW forums.

Maybe I don't understand what you expect, but if you could open the hatch when the car is locked so could any one else so it would be insecure.

Mine has CA, so I can't really experiment easily. But, there are some menu choices on what and when things lock and unlock and one of those choices may unlock the hatch. It would seem possible with s/w, but I have not looked into it any more. Once you have CA, going to a vehicle that doesn't, seems so primitive!

Back