Confirmed UK build date

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidfromdigswell

Very excited to have just been sent an email from my dealer informing me that my i3 will be their first delivery. The mail also included a screenshot from the BMW ordering system. It shows that my BEv's production week is 52-12-2013, expected week of 4-01-14 (not sure I know what this means) and delivery of 23-01-2014. Looks like it paid off placing a deposit a month before the order book opened up.

Unless you typo'd "52-12-2013", that means the 52nd week of the year. Car production planning is typically conducted in terms of week-of-year.

So, if the new car is ready to pick up last week Jan or first week Feb, as looks likely, will you hold off collection for four weeks to make it a "14" plate instead of the last of the "63" ?

No I am not going to hold off for the newer plate. I made the decision to lease, rather than buy the car as I am a little nervous about the BEv's residuals, so the plate is not a consideration for me.

Can you tell me what the Lease numbers worked out to?...Residual, Money Factor, etc.? Also can you apply the Tax Credit to your Cap Cost?

I'll tell you my quote. I asked for a quote on a base model (white) with just a 5 year service pack (£395) and the winter pack (£260). £1000 deposit, 48 month finance. £500 a month on lease and £515 on PCP with a balloon payment at the end. Both were based in 12k per annum.

My Megane currently costs me £240 a month on finance and £140ish on fuel. £20 covers tax, MOT and service I reckon. So I reckon it costs me roughly £400 a month with fuel.

The i3 should cost £25 a month to charge, so I think my uplift cost is about £125 a month. With every £1000 a month more deposit I can find the monthly costs drop by about £25, so that's one way to close the gap. Then again I could just accept that a brand new 30k automatic hot hatch BMW costs a bit more than a 2.5 year old noisy manual Renault!

mickeyscotty said:
Can you tell me what the Lease numbers worked out to?...Residual, Money Factor, etc.? Also can you apply the Tax Credit to your Cap Cost?

A UK lease is not the same as an American lease. The contracts are completely different. There is no MF or cap cost. UK does not use money factor and APR is figured differently. The tax rules are different too. There are business lease contracts designed to take advantage of the UK tax system.

The UK plug in car grant is calculated from the top of sticker MSRP. It is rebate handled by the dealer.

A UK PCP (personal contract purchase) comes closest to what is called a lease in most US states. PCP is a finance contract with an optional balloon payment. At the end of the contract you can either return the car or pay the optional balloon. In practice this works out to something very similar to a US lease. The biggest difference is the residuals. At the end of a typical PCP the car is worth more than the balloon payment.

UK Hire purchase is traditional finance.

Back