Cost of jack rabbit starts

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtEndress

What is the cost of doing full power acceleration in the i3 in terms of efficiency and battery use?

It’s certainly costly of fuel in an ICE, but there is an argument that it doesn’t make much difference in an EV as they are not nearly as inefficient at high power. I find it hard to believe there is no cost in efficiency, after all BMW put a lead foot symbol on the display if you accelerate too hard. I’ve seen my efficiency figure drop a bit after a quick start.

As a test I just tried resetting my trip computer efficiency figures and did three full throttle 0 to 55 MPH starts over about 1.4 miles. The consumption figure after this was 4.3 mi/kWh, which I found surprisingly good. That means I used 0.33 kW over the 1.4 miles and at most 0.11 kW hour per start. More likely it was less than half of that as at best I might have gotten double the efficiency driving around at low speed.

I really should have done a comparison drive trough the same area at a normal 30 MHP for comparison. I suspect I would have gotten somewhere between 5 and 8 mi/kWh. So there was some cost to the hard acceleration, but was it just due to the momentary aero drag at 55 MPH and the loss from the regen slowing back down?

I suppose you really need a controlled test through the same area comparing slowly accelerating to speed and then with hard acceleration to the same speed. Probably need a nice level stretch of deserted road for that, which can be hard for me to come by. I had to loop around to reuse the same 500 yard/meter stretch of level road.

It takes a certain amount of energy to accelerate a vehicle to a certain speed. ON an ICE, with the engine speed varying along with the gear shifts, unless you have something like the old accelerator pump to enrich the fuel mixture, it's pretty efficient and works best to get into cruising speed in shorter time up to the point prior to that enrichment. An EV doesn't have the gears (at least in the i3) and as long as you don't overshoot, the extra energy used is from probably heating things with the higher current - probably not all that much. Once at a cruising speed...a steady speed is your best friend...constant, even small, surges will eat up energy.

Buskraut said:
This has been hashed out previously:
That discussion seems rather theoretical, based on a perfect engine, battery, wiring and electronics. I agree that in a perfect system it doesn't matter how hard you accelerate, the only penalty is drag at speed.

I'm wondering if anyone has measured the effect in the real world with a real i3.

Back