CSS - charging in France

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobiassej

Hi everyone

I consider going to france with a bmw I3. But the charging system is somehow different. In Denmark i would use CSS charging along with the highway.

One trip would be from Rennes to Lörrach and another from Avignon to Lörrach. The trip should be done in 1-2 days. In Provence/Lyon region I can se some CSS chargers near the highway. But from Rennes to Basel it's more troublesome.

http://ccs-map.eu

The distances are quit long and fast charging is really needed on a trip like this. Do you have any recommendations?
;)
Best Tobias

Looking at the map, doing this trip using CCS looks almost impossible. You could try and see whether there are BMW/VW dealerships along the road with CCS charging facilities, but in my experience, french dealers are unlikely to get in contact.

Your options are
a) use 32 Amp/Type 2 and include longer stays (maybe check hotel chains?)
b) drive a long detour via Belgium/Germany and take advantage of CCS there. Although that seems excessive.
c) use the REx, if that's an option for you

Due to french manufacturers preferring Chademo, France remains a "CCS desert" in many places. Try and get in contact with french i3 drivers via Twitter. I've had a lot of help from other european drivers when I planned my trip to Germany earlier this year.

Hope it goes well - keep us updated about your adventure!

Thank you.

a) a charging time over 1-2 hours is unacceptable.

b) even with the detour the drive north of Paris is a CSS - desert

c) A REX owner wouldn't ask this question:)

Looks like Avignon - Lörrach is more possible than Rennes - Lörrach.

Any other good ideas?

tobiassej said:
Thank you.

a) a charging time over 1-2 hours is unacceptable.

b) even with the detour the drive north of Paris is a CSS - desert

c) A REX owner wouldn't ask this question:)

a) well, that's why I suggested combining it with an overnight stay
b) I was talking about Belgium, not north of Paris. I have successfully used CCS chargers by the PluginCompany in Belgium along the E40.
c) that depends. I have a REx, but try to use it at a minimum. Filling up every 60-70 miles is no fun either.

Back