Delete Rex??

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwiebi3

Is there a way to recode the i3 with a Rex so it doesn’t have a Rex ? I have a rod knocking. It wants to start every time I drive it because the maintenance mode is active. I would like to just convert it to electric only. I don’t live in a state where it matters how it’s licensed and I don’t get any discounts or credits. I just don’t want to deal with the rattling and hitting the reset button every time I drive it.

Not sure if it was this forum or another one where this was asked before, but the suggestion was to simply drain the fuel tank - would that work? I think the rationale was that if the level sensor shows an empty tank, the controller for the Range Extender won't even try to start it up? Must confess I don't recall seeing a definitive answer to whether that would work though!

I don't have a REX but I've read of a few others who state just to Pull The Fuse that powers the REX so it does not come on. You will get an error message that you will have to live with but that's about it. I don't know which fuse it is though.

Fuse allocations seem to show five fuses with the label "Engine Management" - I guess you could just start pulling them at random and see what happens!

Not sure if it was this forum or another one where this was asked before, but the suggestion was to simply drain the fuel tank - would that work? I think the rationale was that if the level sensor shows an empty tank, the controller for the Range Extender won't even try to start it up? Must confess I don't recall seeing a definitive answer to whether that would work though!
Unless there is an additional sensor for the presence of reserve fuel that would regulate that, it is not my experience. My tank is currently empty, yet the nag persists.

I don't have a REX but I've read of a few others who state just to Pull The Fuse that powers the REX so it does not come on. You will get an error message that you will have to live with but that's about it. I don't know which fuse it is though.
I’d like to have no sign of a Rex existing. I don’t want a nuisance light on.

Hello All,

I have a 2016 REX and have really enjoy it. I can see where the average person might get frustrated with it.

The vehicle is designed to work with the REX working properly. Disengaging he REX will create more problems. I'm 62 years old and one thing i have learned over the years is whenever you try to use something in a way it was not designed you are welcoming other problems.

ja can do it remotely, recode bmw i3 to non rex version. If you like write me message, just what i beed is enet cable and pc with internet

Latest posts

Back