Did I buy a lemon? (2014 Base i3)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMLVNV

I have posted here before. BUT I'M AT MY WIT'S END...

Any info would be much appreciated...

I live in Las Vegas...I don't do much highway driving, as I work from home. Most of my trips are quite short (couple miles max).

When it's cold, I like to use the Heat. When it's hot, I like to use the A/C.

I just had the car in for servicing last week. I had 2 recalls done, and had them check why my mileage on a full charge is so horrible.

I am literally getting 33-35 miles now on a full charge with my Clipper Creek.

I'm scheduled for servicing again at the dealer this Saturday. I'm wondering if I should talk to the higher-ups at the dealer, because this is not a car - It's a toy.

Anyone's advice, etc. is much appreciated!

-David

IF the i3 indicates 100%, regardless of how long it may have taken or with whatever EVSE you use, and you're only getting 35-40 miles, you have a problem in the car.

So what type of problem with the car are you suggesting? This way I can tell the Service guy at the dealer.

Not sure if this is nationwide, but most people working in the dealerships have no clue when talking about the i3.

Good i3 service is much more dealer dependent than the ICE or diesel cars, if your current dealer is not doing a satisfactory job, you need to find another. Are there two competing BMW dealers in Las Vegas? If so, take the car to the other one.......

If the car thinks it's fully charged, and it's not for some reason, the sensors, or a cable, or something is defective. But, if the car thinks things are fully charged, and the monitoring circuits say they only have say 50% of the original, then a battery pack or more is bad. In either case, unless it was frigid, you set the car to sauna mode, and took lots of short trips, with it cooling off to frigid again in between each of them, it should be able to go further than you are indicating. This is a worst case scenario for a REx verses a BEV, because every watt you use is one-for-one. WIth the BEV, a watt from the battery to the heat pump could make as many as about 3W of heat, or up to 3x (approximately) more efficient for heating up the cabin.

Just describe what's happening and let them run the diagnostics and see what the status of things are.

One way of crushing the range, is to drive like a maniac. Flat out at every light, accelerate like crazy to the speed limit (and beyond) at every opportunity.

Not saying you are doing this, just pointing out that KWhrs leave fast when the load is high. Driving hard creates a high load on the battery.

Hi David,

Can you check your i3's battery capacity? (steps are here http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2331&p=21323#p21323 )

Last year, my range were about 140 km in the summer and 120 km in the winter , but now is less than 100 km (60 miles). My driving style haven't change much and I certainly don't floor the panel at every light. Most of my trips are in the city. I don't use much heating or air con. If I put heating/cooling at full blast, I guess my range could easily go down to 40-50 miles.

My battery capacity is now only 16.7 kWh. I've asked my dealer to do a health check on the battery, when they do the air bag recall next week. Given my i3 is a first generation i3, I won't rule out the possibility of defects.

Phil

Blue20 said:
Hi David,

Can you check your i3's battery capacity? (steps are here http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2331&p=21323#p21323 )

Last year, my range were about 140 km in the summer and 120 km in the winter , but now is less than 100 km (60 miles). My driving style haven't change much and I certainly don't floor the panel at every light. Most of my trips are in the city. I don't use much heating or air con. If I put heating/cooling at full blast, I guess my range could easily go down to 40-50 miles.

My battery capacity is now only 16.7 kWh. I've asked my dealer to do a health check on the battery, when they do the air bag recall next week. Given my i3 is a first generation i3, I won't rule out the possibility of defects.

Phil

Just curious to know if there is any update on this?

Back