DIY: Highbeam Headlamp Replacement / Upgrade

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BMW4Me said:
Here's a post I read on another forum I follow that discusses the conversion process including specific bulb references: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800820&highlight=

Heh, good reference!

As he linked, I posted my conversion over to LED main beams(and turn indicators) on the BF forums. Brightness, light spread and color were all huge improvements over factory. And for $60/set, why not?

Out here in the PNW mountain roads need a lot of horizontal light and some good throw for when you crest the hills. The factory bulbs simply did not cut it, especially if it was raining.

I avoid aftermarket HID bulbs because it seems the hassle of finding kits that are reliable and not potenially damaging to the vehicle is higher than the gains. LEDs are fairly self-contained, consume less power than the original equipment and as long as they stay cool can last as long as you have the car.

Do these look like they will fit - http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNGETACE%C2%AE-3000LM-6000K-Headlight-Waterproof/dp/B00OW1T810/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1421536317&sr=8-5&keywords=H11+Car+LED+Headlight

3000 Lumen each, 30W

Just got those LED's fitted, hardest part was getting the power cable connected - not much space or length of cable.

New lights working well, increased throw and the white light makes a difference.

God follower, are these the lamps you purchased?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K61CG5U/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687442&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00L8GCDLE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1JPZX7VJ4AD6D1DWP7BD#customerReviews

You commented on BF that the led bulbs covered more horizontal area than the oem units. Can you elaborate a little more on their reach in front of the car vs the oem bulbs?

Thanks.

They fit. They're the same as the ones Godfollower referenced in his bimmerfest post (his listing had ended and these are the re-posted items).

With respect to distance throw, it's difficult to be exact (I didn't perform the Pepsi challenge, i.e., one in each side). Overall distance may be similar, but perhaps lumens at distance is better. I read in a related post that someone had adjusted the high beam aim upwards slightly and was happy with the results. Perhaps a combination of these bulbs and elevated aiming would be optimal.

There is a definite, noticeable improvement in side throw, and the colour is much better. Overall visibility is improved.

FWIW, any bulb used on the exterior of a vehicle in the USA is required by DOT regulations to have passed their compatibility tests...and, those aren't that it just fits! This is important for both headlights and tail/brake/marker lights as well. The evenness of the illumination is as important as the overall light level. Most of the aftermarket LED bulbs have NOT been certified, and if you read the fine print, they protect themselves by saying 'for off-road use only'.

jadnashuanh said:
FWIW, any bulb used on the exterior of a vehicle in the USA is required by DOT regulations to have passed their compatibility tests...and, those aren't that it just fits! This is important for both headlights and tail/brake/marker lights as well. The evenness of the illumination is as important as the overall light level. Most of the aftermarket LED bulbs have NOT been certified, and if you read the fine print, they protect themselves by saying 'for off-road use only'.

Cancelled them :oops:

jadnashuanh said:

Ordered a set today!

jadnashuanh said:

He was asking if it fit because it wasn't showing in the compatibility chart, hence my reply. No other inferences were made, including DOT approval. Some of us may objectively consider performance ahead of regulatory approval.

The light pattern will vary depending on the bulb design...IOW, there could be light where it is not supposed to be. WIth high beams, it's probably not much of an issue since you'd turn them off when approaching other cars, but can be a real pain to oncoming traffic with some of them (on say fog lights, which might be on in traffic). FWIW, there are some out there that are DOT approved, most companies do not go to the trouble, maybe because they wouldn't pass, or just that it costs more than they want to deal with.

My LED bulbs arrived today and took all of about 10 minutes to install, it went just like the pictures at the beginning of this thread. After I got the first one in I turned on the lights to compare between the Halogen and the LED, the difference in color temp was very noticeable. They did look just like the low beams while in my garage, but it won't be dark for hours to give them a road test.

Did the same, but forgot about the instructions on the first page and struggled with releasing the connector. BTW, what is the pump assembly for on the drivers side to the right of the high beam?

canuckjc said:
jadnashuanh said:

He was asking if it fit because it wasn't showing in the compatibility chart, hence my reply. No other inferences were made, including DOT approval. Some of us may objectively consider performance ahead of regulatory approval.

Really?

Just put these into my i3 for high beams. Available on Amazon. Now I have real highbeams. Much better light and match the led headlights. Superb spread and instant on off. No interference with any electronics. 6000K is an excellent match for the headlights.

High Power 80W 7200LM H8 H9 H11 4th Generation CREE XT-E LED Headlamp Light Bulb Color Change 5000K 6000K 8000K

Using anything over the original 55W bulb is asking for heat related problems and overloading things. That's almost 155% of the original design power. That's asking a lot from the switch contacts and note that the fuses don't blow immediately on an overload of that amount, but can after time. The only good thing, is that often, you can't use your high beams all that much, and it may have time to cool off in between uses.

They are listed at 40W per Bulb, so less than the original Halogen 55W and should be perfectly OK. Having good LED main beams certainly makes a difference since I upgraded.

Back