Do I keep my i3 for another three years?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidfromdigswell

I took delivery of my Bev in early 2014 on a three year lease and am still really enjoying it. I only drive it locally so range has never been an issue for me and the car has only 7000 miles on the clock. I am now starting to think about whether I want to keep it or whether I should order a new car in about 6 or so months time for delivery when my lease comes to an end (I am quite tempted by the soon to be released Fiat 124 Spider).

I am really quite torn as I don't think I will ever be totally happy in a car again without pre-conditioning, an amazing turning circle, and instant torque. I was just wondering what special considerations I should be thinking about should I decide to keep the car for another three years. I am guessing the main consideration is battery degradation, but am not sure if this is a real issue. My understanding is that the battery pack is quite modular so individual failing cells could be replaced? There is also talk of the possibility of an upgrade to a higher capacity pack so this might be a way of extending ownership in the unlikely event that such an option was affordable. Given the lack of oily bits under the bonnet I would rather hope that the car would be pretty reliable and cheap to maintain. I am not all that concerned about eventual resale value which I am guessing would be pretty low at 6 years old.

Any guidance would be most welcome.

David

David
You will have to do the sums nearer the end of your lease. With the 2017 MY i3 with a longer range (+50% has been rumoured) going into production in July which could seriously impact on BEV residuals your leasing co may make you an offer to extend your lease or sell the car to you that might be irresistable. Alternatively there may be good deals on MY 2017 BEVs. If your early car has been reliable and only done a very low mileage you have many years life left in it. Why not keep the i3 as a forever car and go for the 124 Spider as a second car?

I'd probably keep it unless some of the features of the new one are so tempting, you can't resist, as long as you are happy with it as is. It's not going to rust away to nothing as there's very little steel in the thing, and the batteries should last quite a long time. My sister has an ancient Prius, with older tech batteries, and they are still going strong at over 180K-miles and lots of years...I think we've learned more about batteries in the interim, and then, you do still have the warranty to fall back on for up to 8-years. Individual batteries cannot be field replaced, but any one of the 8 battery modules can be, should one of those prove defective. Whether an upgrade to the newer tech batteries will be economical is still to be determined. Expect more on that after the 2017MY cars start to show up. BMW's original thought was, buy a new car, and they didn't really see why people would want to replace them (unless defective). It's sort of like buying a 4-cylinder engine car, then deciding you want a six or eight, but not as involved in parts, since the batteries themselves will remain the same size (at least from what we hear now). Costwise, though, it will be a pretty substantial hunk. On the other hand, the cost of the batteries IS coming down, but when, or if, we'll see that at the retail level is undetermined. Unless BMW changes the charging logic, though, it will also mean longer recharge times, or upgraded internal charging power supplies, harnesses, and controls. It won't make a 30A EVSE obsolete, a bigger one may or may not be able to be utilized in the next MY, but it will mean longer recharging times if you keep the existing one.

Back