Does EcoPro / EcoPro+ Improve highway range?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisn

I mentioned this in another thread, but perhaps better posted as a new topic here.

My question is: for highway driving using cruise control, if I have the A/C off (fan only mode), is range affected in any way by Comfort v. EcoPro v. EcoPro+ mode? If so, how? It seems that no magic button could alter the physics that dictate the load required to maintain a given speed.

I get that EcoPro+ (sort of) limits top speed which obviously helps, but I could choose to drive at 55 in Comfort mode.

TomMoloughney said:
"It seems that no magic button could alter the physics that dictate the load required to maintain a given speed"

You have your answer

Indeed.

Particularly at higher speeds where the energy consumed by the motor will be way higher than that consumed by the ancillaries. Since my BEV had the software upgrade in August, which fixed the inoperative aircon, the indicated range has fallen quite significantly, but the rate at which the indicated range falls as I travel has also reduced. So on motorways I seem to use about half a mile of indicated range for each mile travelled, suggesting that the aircon being on has not affected actual consumption to any significant extent.

It's all in the mind ;)

I sincerely doubt there is any magic that EcoPro+ does that you couldn't do for yourself in comfort mode. Think of it as a one button way to turn off all the energy consuming extras like A/C, heat, seat warmers, etc. Instead of going through a checklist of things to turn off you use one switch. I suppose it's possible that the cruise control is even more gentle in EcoPro+, but I haven't noticed it. I have noticed that the throttle is less sensitive.

The increased range comes about by turning off or turning down some of the comfort features AND by smoothing out or limiting the responses to the throttle use. IF you are a very careful driver, you can probably achieve nearly similar results on your own.

KurtEndress said:
I suppose it's possible that the cruise control is even more gentle in EcoPro+, but I haven't noticed it.
I thought I had seen it explicitly stated in the manual that cruise is less aggressively regulated in the EcoPro modes, but I can't find the reference now. I think I have noticed it's gentler, allowing a deficit to persist for longer, particularly uphill. That's a feature I've long wished for on ICE cars.

ironsia said:
KurtEndress said:
I suppose it's possible that the cruise control is even more gentle in EcoPro+, but I haven't noticed it.
I thought I had seen it explicitly stated in the manual that cruise is less aggressively regulated in the EcoPro modes, but I can't find the reference now. I think I have noticed it's gentler, allowing a deficit to persist for longer, particularly uphill. That's a feature I've long wished for on ICE cars.

This is definitely the case; haven't read anything about it, just what I experience. Throttle response is dampened for driver-use and thus also for cruise-use. You can easily experience the difference by setting the cruise and traveling up a long hill--just switch between Comfort and Eco modes and you can feel the difference.

To the OP, we have only had our car for a week so not a lot of experience. I did a one day experiment though. The first 2 days I stayed in Eco Pro for the entirety of our journey to/from work (73 miles round trip, 33 of which is highway) because I was unsure about range. The 3rd day I decided to try out the trip in Comfort. End result was the same ~7 mile remaining range upon arriving home in the evening as the 2 days in Eco Pro. All 3 days I drove as smoothly/efficiently as possible and only use air to de-fog the windscreen when necessary. As you said, 55 mph is 55 mph, it is more about how much energy that is used to get to 55 mph and what else is running.

I guess my broader point was: isn't it kind of disingenuous to claim dramatic increases in range when they are only "real" under circumstances likely not applicable to use cases where long range matters most?

By this I mean, very very few people will do more than 60-70 miles of urban (15-35MPH, stop and go frequently) driving in a day, and likely would only care about extended range in, well, extended DISTANCE trips involving freeways. But the ECO benefits derive from reduced HVAC / Reduced acceleration which have a MUCH bigger impact in slower speed, stop-and-go urban driving.

I appreciate having the ECO modes as they provide real assistance in increasing EFFICIENCY, and they never HURT range, but the marketing claim that pressing a magic button (twice) gives you 25% more range is dubious at best and adds little (other than deception).

How many potential buyers understand that the marketing claims are essentially identical to the self-evident claim (to ICE and EV drivers alike) that "driving slowly, gently and without A/C increases efficiency"?

Something I haven't seen mentioned much is the change in throttle response in Eco modes. I prefer the smoothed out power response in Eco to the touchiness in Comfort. I wish I could have that available in Comfort since it is easier to drive smoothly in Eco.

As far as I can tell the smoothed response is the only real difference between comfort and eco pro apart from the adjustable 'soft' speed limt. So drive in eco pro?

You forgot about the weakening of the a/c. That alone forces me to drive in Comfort when the sun is shining and to run the a/c in max for a few minutes everytime I get into the car when running errands.

WoodlandHills said:
Something I haven't seen mentioned much is the change in throttle response in Eco modes. I prefer the smoothed out power response in Eco to the touchiness in Comfort. I wish I could have that available in Comfort since it is easier to drive smoothly in Eco.

I had the same thought the other day. It made me wish for Tesla-like functionality where you can turn anything on/off in whatever combinations you desire (and then save a global preset).

I've been wondering about the obverse: is it my imagination or do I get more responsive regen/braking when in Comfort than when in Eco? Maybe it's that I'm decelerating from a higher speed than usual, but the braking and charge both seem stronger. :?

I do know that acceleration is more subdued in Eco modes--you can feel it if your foot is on it.

WoodlandHills said:

Man, really? Half the fun of owning this car is the pimped golf-cart on steroids take off :twisted: ! Weird after my wife and kid always complained that I'm a slow driver. Not anymore, at least for that first 0-30 acceleration. Maybe I'll grow out of it. Probably not :roll: . This car is high fun factor, I would think that most people would enjoy the sheer torque and not be looking to take that away.

It has seemed with my car that if you do smoothly take off and stay at around 55 that the range will be highest, and as long as you're not using AC or seat warmers.

I really love the fact that when you do have lots of battery power and don't have to worry about range, that hills don't make any difference, at least not in mine. I drive in comfort mode and it seems to bomb up hills with none of the ICE uphill sluggishness. I've owned a ton of cars, but this is the first one I can't wait to drive everyday :D . My next car will have to drive just like this. I'm hoping for a few more luxury items like blind spot detection mirrors first and foremost, the thing I miss most from my last car...

DeafSoundGuy said:
WoodlandHills said:

Man, really? Half the fun of owning this car is the pimped golf-cart on steroids take off :twisted: !

I agree, 1 week into ownership - this is a great car! Just buying a practical ev is enough for me - now let's have some fun - and the i3 delivers that too :lol: Infact the most fun since my early 911 porsche. Woohoo!

It is possible to go further on a charge if you choose one of the Eco modes...there may be times when using one would get you home without a stop to recharge. So, depends on your use and needs. It's nice to have it, even if you don't use it.

Back